but then got pretty good. The first sale I went to had advertised old tools. I contacted them and asked if there were woodworking tools. They replied that there were a lot of woodworking tools, but I couldn't come before 8:30. I arrived at 8:20 and found someone walking out with about 15 planes, a box of gouges, some clamps, etc. I was not happy. Second sale worked out pretty well. I grabbed a Delta 31-460 belt/disc sander for $10 and than asked about the minty Stanley 71. The lady said she wanted the stuff gone and that if I bought the sander I could have the 71. Here's some pics of the 71

Left there and went to a third sale and got some really cool stuff. Grabbed a few folding rules. Two Stanley 62's, a Stanley 61 and an unnamed 78 1/2'

A minty Stanley Eclpise Level in the box

Stanley 192 mortise gauuge

An unmarked bevel gauge. I wasn't going to buy it because I already have about 20 bevel gauges, but the locking nut caught my eye

Grabbed this V&B jack plane

There is one more thing. I found this little gem hanging on the wall

Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$

Strong wind blowing out of the arctic today, must be all that suckage in NY!! Nice score on the 602!

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
CERTIFIED gloat!!!

Thanks for sharing!
I NEVER find stuff like this around here. Well, not yet anyway!
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com

enjuneer said:

I NEVER find stuff like this around here. Well, not yet anyway!

No kiddin'. I was on the Oregon Coast and stopped at an Antique store. I went in and asked where she kept her old tools. She pointed me to a dark corner of her store.

There were 3 planes. One was a decent three-date Stanley #4. It had a $1200 price tag. I thought "Wow.....12 bucks, not bad".

Then I realized what she REALLY was asking.

I politely asked her why she priced them so high. ??

She told me "That's a very fair price according to 'The Book'".

I asked her "What book"?

She gave me a mean look and I left.

Oh the travails of rust-hunting in Oregon.
Wow Dave! - nice stuff, especially the 602
Dave nice find for sure, congrats.

Steve

Hey Steve, great to hear from you. We were starting to worry.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
That's one hell of a weekend! Nice finds! And oh yeah, you suck!!
DaveParkis said:

An unmarked bevel gauge. I wasn't going to buy it because I already have about 20 bevel gauges, but the locking nut caught my eye

Hey, I've got the same bevel! I think of it as being in the English pattern, because the end of the beam (rule/metal sliding part) is cut at a more oblique angle than the Stanleys I own, and the only place I've seen that angle in the literature has been in English woodworking books. But I could be, probably am, just not knowledgeable enough about American bevels.

I hope someone will come along and ID it; it'd be nice to know. In the meantime, it's nice (for me) having such a classy tool.

You're way ahead of me, by the way; I have just nine. Not sure I can afford to get to 20 in my shoplet, but I'd sure like to find an older 3" bevel and the largest Stanley No. 18 or (early) 25 to round out the set.

I've had as many as six bevels set to various angles for days at a time during my remodel projects. For me, one would not be enough!
The weekend started out badly