I received a request from a fellow Woodnetter asking my assistance in obtaining an eggbeater that appeared on a local on-line auction. Since I do a lot of business with local on-line auctions, and he's hundreds of miles away, I agreed to do so. I won the auction, so LOML, our two dogs, and I left this afternoon to pick up the winnings.

I knew from the picture on the auction site that the drill was a little unusual, but it really became apparent when i viewed the drill. It's an eggbeater allright, 14 1/2" long, but it also has a breastplate.

An early one made by Millers Falls.

The chuck is in much better condition than appears in the picture.

It's a two speed also, selectable by the twist of the collar.

The handle is really intriguing on this drill - it can rotate and also be removed by loosening the collar that holds the handle on.

The handle is hollow to permit the storage of drill bits - quite a difference from other MF drills.

And the added breastplate is held on by only one screw.

Finally, there's a small mark on the side of the drive wheel - don't know if this is designed or a mistake made by a PO. I'll leave that to the recipient of this fine tool.

I think my friend is going to be one happy camper with this drill.

Richard

According to the Old Tool Heaven web site, the No 981 was only made for four years -- 1913 to 1917 -- making it a fairly scarce drill.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
That is a different one. I would bet your friend will be a happy camper too.
Thanks for sharing. One correction, though. MF No. 2 drills, their most common, had hollow handles. I have one with a full set of bits. The cap of the handle is threaded and unscrews to reveal more bits. Same as the No. 1.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill

AHill said:

Thanks for sharing. One correction, though. MF No. 2 drills, their most common, had hollow handles. I have one with a full set of bits. The cap of the handle is threaded and unscrews to reveal more bits. Same as the No. 1.

You're correct in that the #2 has a hollow handle, but - the handle is not removed from the drill to view the cavity that holds the bits, whereas, on this one, the handle must be removed. That's the difference.

Richard
Unusual Eggbeater