I'm looking for learned opinions, hopefully from you folks who may have gone down this path. I am planning my duct runs for a new cyclone collector. Should I run my ducting into my attic or just along the ceiling? Right now the ceiling is finished drywall about 9' high and insulated, so it would require cutting a bunch of holes for the drops. That is probably the biggest down side. Its a stand alone shop, and I built it with garage doors, so it will probably always be a shop or a garage. I expect in a few years my wife and I will be moving (down sizing) and -assuming I don't leave the system for the next guy- having a holey ceiling probably won't help resale value. Other negatives are the heat loss since the attic is unheated, and I guess in the event of a clog, clean out might be more difficult.
On the upside, running the main line in the attic means I wouldn't be obstructing lights or anything else. I don't use the attic for anything, so taking up the space isn't an issue.
Bottom line, I'm just trying to consider all my options. I've never set up a central D.C. before. What do you all think?

I've done it both ways; in the attic and along the ceiling; both work. It depends on the pipe diameter. The pipe run through the attic was 8" diameter and would have created an obstruction. However, running 4" diameter pipes along the ceiling didn't seem to interfere with anything
ed kerns said:

Other negatives are the heat loss since the attic is unheated.......

Wouldn't sending heated shop air through an ice-cold duct in the attic cause condensation to form?

Mike
I've changed my shop tools around a couple of times and had to change the ducting accordingly.

Running it through the attic you might have to patch holes if you rearrange things.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

What Mark said, if you change anything (including the move) you will be quite glad you didn't run them in the attic. My last shop had a 9' ceiling and I ran 6" PVC. I didn't find that to be a problem with clearance. I suspect (but do not know) that what Mike said may also be true, condensation on the inside of the pipe would be a real headache.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I would vote ceiling. I used 4" sewer pipe and it works well--HD sells metal hangars that make install easy.
I had the same question a couple years ago. I ended up running 6" pipe along the ceiling and branching off runs (2) for the tools. My feeling was that (a) if I rearranged the shop it would be a LOT easier to modify the runs, (b) I wouldn't lose any heat into the attic, and © it was easier. I ran my main line along the top of one wall so it wouldn't block lighting and then 90'ed over along the ceiling for the drop to the TS. HTH.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
By golly, we seem to have a consensus- and I think you're right. The real deal breaker is the inability to readjust the runs without leaving extra holes in the ceiling. I hadn't thought that far ahead. Thanks for helping me think it through!
When I had ceiling runs I attached the pipes to the drywall surface. A simple, cheap and great hanger was to buy steel band hose clamps, open them up, drill a screw hole in the middle and screw the opened clamp to a ceiling joist. then close them over the pipe. Easy to move and reuse and very streamlined.
WoodNET... the new safespace
dust collector duct run question