If you want to keep glue out of your pen tubes when assembling them, twist them in some paraffin before inserting them into the blanks.
I found some paraffin at my local grocery store the other day for $3.59 a pound.
It should last me several 100's of pens.
It comes a little thick, so you probably will need to melt it down in a cheapo aluminum pan to about 1/8" thick.

You only need enough to seal the end off.
Once the glue is dry, use a chopstick to poke out the paraffin. A lot of people use dental wax, but that stuff is way too expensive.

Just cut a slice of potato about a 1/4 inch thick. Use your tube like a cookie cutter and you get a plug for each end of the tube and your done.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.

I use silly putty but potato, paraffin wax will also work great!

Use a dowel to push out putty out the tube & rifle bore brush to clean the tube before turning.

I do use Gulf Canning (paraffin wax) as an end sealer. Need a hot plate, frying pan, and old pot depending upon size of blank.
Bill
Or don't do anything. I keep my old chainsaw files and these are perfect for getting the glue out of the tubes. Takes me about five seconds to clean a tube.
VH07V  

EightFingers said:

Or don't do anything. I keep my old chainsaw files and these are perfect for getting the glue out of the tubes. Takes me about five seconds to clean a tube.

Been turning pens for over 10 years and have never plugged the ends. Do as you do, use an old chainsaw file.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Thought I'd mention this