Most of us are pretty familiar with the Oneida Dust Deputy, the little cyclone that adds on to shopvacs. Yesterday I took a couple hours to install it's big, big brother, the Super Dust Deputy XL.

When I first moved from a small basement shop to my new shop, I went from a 1HP dust collector, plugged into one tool at a time to needing ducting and a larger collector. I probably should have bought a cyclone, but I was trying to save money so I grabbed a 3HP Double Canister Dust Collector from Grizzly. It has plenty of airflow, but bag changes sure suck!

In my standard DYI spirit I made a Thein tophat and it worked very well, catching about 95% of my debris coming off my, tablesaw, bandsaw, router & 11" benchtop planer..... but as happens over time, tools break and we usually use that opportunity to upgrade; in this case is was my old 11" Ryobi benchtop planer. I'd been dealing with a lot larger lumber thanks to the nearness of central Ohio's Amish lumber mills, and I took this opportunity to jump up to a 15" Planer with Spiral Cutterhead. Unfortunately this jump was way too large for my tophat, it completely overloaded with the volume of chips coming off the new planer. So for the last couple years I've just been running the dust collector directly and dealing with the bags, their rips, and the drop in dust collection as the filters clog.

I've been eyeing the Super Dust Deputy as a relatively inexpensive solution to my dust collector woes. The problem has been that because of the size of my dust collector I've been in need of the XL version, none of the local stores carried the XL, and shipping tacks on around $60!!! During a recent sale I finally combined enough discounts to stomach the price and wow am I impressed!

With about 2 hours of work yesterday I was able to add the Super Dust Deputy inline to my ducting, and that's with a snazzy little wall attachment that allows me to swap dust barrels easily!

I've only briefly run the drum sander and the planer so far, but performance is exemplary! All the dust, I can see, ended up in the bin! If you have the space in your shop and an existing quality dust collector, and are still using single sage, I highly recommend this jump. If you have a > 3HP collector you can pickup the non XL version for around $150.... or if like me you need the XL you'll probably be stuck spending closer to twice that.... but is far less expensive than a full cyclone upgrade and an amazing performance improvement!
-Nik

Tech / Woodworking blog: http://digitalwoodworker.com
@nikbrown

Thanks for posting,that is a nice setup.Planers,jointers put out alot of chips

very nice...but that looks like about 1/3 of my shop floor space. However, I will say that Oneida makes good stuff. I have the Dust Cobra set up as a central vac and it really works.
most excellent upgrade in deed.  Made the jump to a large Grizzly, may have gone this route if they had 6" size a couple of years ago, I recall it being only 5" when I was looking before.
Somedays I consider building a bump out on the back of the shop to move the dust to the other side of the wall.
(07-08-2016, 09:10 AM)NikBrown Wrote: Most of us are pretty familiar with the Oneida Dust Deputy, the little cyclone that adds on to shopvacs. Yesterday I took a couple hours to install it's big, big brother, the Super Dust Deputy XL.

When I first moved from a small basement shop to my new shop, I went from a 1HP dust collector, plugged into one tool at a time to needing ducting and a larger collector. I probably should have bought a cyclone, but I was trying to save money so I grabbed a 3HP Double Canister Dust Collector from Grizzly. It has plenty of airflow, but bag changes sure suck!

In my standard DYI spirit I made a Thein tophat and it worked very well, catching about 95% of my debris coming off my, tablesaw, bandsaw, router & 11" benchtop planer..... but as happens over time, tools break and we usually use that opportunity to upgrade; in this case is was my old 11" Ryobi benchtop planer. I'd been dealing with a lot larger lumber thanks to the nearness of central Ohio's Amish lumber mills, and I took this opportunity to jump up to a 15" Planer with Spiral Cutterhead. Unfortunately this jump was way too large for my tophat, it completely overloaded with the volume of chips coming off the new planer. So for the last couple years I've just been running the dust collector directly and dealing with the bags, their rips, and the drop in dust collection as the filters clog.

I've been eyeing the Super Dust Deputy as a relatively inexpensive solution to my dust collector woes. The problem has been that because of the size of my dust collector I've been in need of the XL version, none of the local stores carried the XL, and shipping tacks on around $60!!! During a recent sale I finally combined enough discounts to stomach the price and wow am I impressed!

With about 2 hours of work yesterday I was able to add the Super Dust Deputy inline to my ducting, and that's with a snazzy little wall attachment that allows me to swap dust barrels easily!

I've only briefly run the drum sander and the planer so far, but performance is exemplary! All the dust, I can see, ended up in the bin! If you have the space in your shop and an existing quality dust collector, and are still using single sage, I highly recommend this jump. If you have a > 3HP collector you can pickup the non XL version for around $150.... or if like me you need the XL you'll probably be stuck spending closer to twice that.... but is far less expensive than a full cyclone upgrade and an amazing performance improvement!

I love it and was considering the same thing.  I only hgave one concern though.  I have 6 inch ran throughout my shop and the inlet on the xl is 5" with a 6in outlet.  I wonder how it would perform being dropped to 5 inch then back up to 6.  Any thought on that?
I have the same Oneida set up as you and liked it, however, after I just received my Grizzly that is the same as yours I got this one from a guy on Ebay who makes them and it is WAY better then Oneida and not even dust is left over.  All goes into the trash can.

I planned about 200' of pine 2x12 and about 3 boards of black walnut 4/4x8x7 and not even the dust went into the grizzly canisters.

Link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclone-Separat...1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclone-Separat...1438.l2649

He makes several sizes and the top one is 4" ducting and the bottom one is where the top is 7" and the lower is 6"

I did not think to look inside from the bottom to see how it is made but it is fantastic. Also he makes a Right side and left side ones for the top intake.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hey Nik,
If this is the same Nik Brown who frequents Beachwood twice a day, turn on your PM’s and drop me one.
Matt
Super Dust Deputy: Easy and quick way to add 2 stage dust collection