This post is a long shot but, the Braintrust has come through before.
Smile To recap I got a whole house generator last year, used. I did not take the transfer switch, it would have meant rewiring the guy's house with a sub panel, which I wasn't paying for and he couldn't afford to have installed. It ran when I disconnected it. I was planning to run it manual start/stop anyway with a lockout on the panel. I changed the oil and air filter and replaced the battery. I'm reading 12.8V across the battery terminals with a tester and the trickle charger that's hooked up says it's charged. The fuse is good. The LED on the generator is lit solid, so power is getting to it. When I hit the manual start on the generator I get nothing, it doesn't even turn over. I'm thinking its because it needs/wants something jumpered since the transfer switch control wires aren't there.

here's the schematic, inserting it as an image didn't work. SW1 down in the lower right is the manual/off/auto switch. Manual start is the position on the left on the switch. I'm wondering if it has to do with the block labeled 'To transfer switch' on the left of the diagram. That's where I took all the control wire leads off of when I moved it. Also if it's relevant, the L1/L2 shutdown information LEDs aren't plugged into anything but there are no LEDs on the panel for them to be plugged into anything.

http://partstream.arinet.com/Image?arik=...2Foemparts

What gen set is it again?  Better yet, do you know anything about the transfer switch that was connected?  I suspect you need some line volt inputs or low volt switching from the transfer switch to bring the control module to life.  Any additional info will help.  I'll dig into this later this evening.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

from what I remember transfer switch = expensive
sub panel = chump change
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

The model # on the generator is Briggs and Stratton 01768. I suspect you are correct. If it matters, I have a separate circuit out to the generator that will power the battery charger. If voltage is needed for the control panel, I could wire off that.

The sub panel wasn't so much the cost of it as much as the time to rewire everything, which at the time I didn't have. He had a lot of interest in the generator and I didn't have the time when I got it to rewire everything. I couldn't also leave him without power.

I have to ask since you don't have the switch do you have it wired directly to the panel?  I have seen this done with an extension cord while not up to code it did work.  Disconnect from grid trip breakers not essential use a 30 amp connect from generator to a dryer outlet power up necessities
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Is fuse F1 good ? In the manual mode it should start up with out any outside AC voltage . Any safety interlocks present ? Don't see them on the schematic. Roly

(10-15-2016, 03:28 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I have to ask since you don't have the switch do you have it wired directly to the panel?  I have seen this done with an extension cord while not up to code it did work.  Disconnect from grid trip breakers not essential use a 30 amp connect from generator to a dryer outlet power up necessities

Remember to trip the main breaker if you do this  as you will back feed into the system.   Not only is it a danger to the utility workers,( a back feed transformer steps the voltage back up to primary voltage).   You will also be trying to pick up neighbors also.   Damage to the generator is likely when utility power comes back on.   Roly

I said disconnect from grid I guess trip main is a better way to describe it

Phil Thien

(10-15-2016, 03:28 PM)Bob10 Wrote: I have to ask since you don't have the switch do you have it wired directly to the panel?  I have seen this done with an extension cord while not up to code it did work.  Disconnect from grid trip breakers not essential use a 30 amp connect from generator to a dryer outlet power up necessities

It's not connected to the panel yet. The cable is all pulled but final connection is not done. I will do that Monday. When it is, it will sit on a 50A breaker and there will be an interlock with the breaker and the main. To have power from the generator the main will have to be off.

(10-15-2016, 03:32 PM)Roly Wrote: Is fuse F1 good ?      In the manual mode it should start up with out any outside AC voltage .    Any safety interlocks present ? Don't see them on the schematic.   Roly

In my OP I said the fuse was good.

There are no safety interlocks that I know of, with the exception of the oil pressure switch. The owner's manual doesn't list any. It's been sitting so I suppose that could be stuck in the off position or something.

Try connecting the ground by the circuit breaker ( power output) connections to a house ground connection.  If that doesn't do it, its VOM time.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Not only that, if out of sync with the line voltage, easy way to blower the generator!!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

My Generator Won't Start