I need to have a clothes washer/dryer combo installed on the second floor of my house. I don't know where it should go. Who should I call to tell me the best place were the unit should be? Should I call a general contractor? Would a plumber be the guy to talk to? There will be carpentry work involved. I just don't know where to begin. How would you go about finding out how this job should be done?

I would think a plumber would be first.    Installing plumbing can be costly and he could determine which location(s)  would be best.   If you know a good general contractor they could advise also but probably would consult their plumber.    Roly
 Let me add,  if you are going to have a general contractor do the job, start with him.   He will work with the plumber to determine what is best from everyone's viewpoint.
Most cases a second floor washing machine set up requires a floor drain also.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Framing, drywall, electrical, plumbing, finish work, permits.... I'd find a general contractor, let them find the plumber, electrician etc and handle it all

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(11-26-2016, 12:28 PM)MikeBob Wrote: Most cases a second floor washing machine set up requires a floor drain also.

my understanding is that it also requires an automatic valve to keep the trap full

I would call a plumber and ask them what to do
Handyman. One that can pretty much do everything. May want to consult with a plumber at the same calling
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-26-2016, 01:25 PM)meackerman Wrote: Framing, drywall, electrical, plumbing, finish work, permits....  I'd find a general contractor,  let them find the plumber, electrician etc and handle it all

...and coordinate the effort.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(11-26-2016, 04:43 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Handyman. One that can pretty much do everything. May want to consult with a plumber at the same calling

This aint no job for a handy man, you need a plumper and an electrician for sure. Permits depending on where you live.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(11-26-2016, 11:59 AM)JSpill Wrote: I need to have a clothes washer/dryer combo installed on the second floor of my house. I don't know where it should go. Who should I call to tell me the best place were the unit should be? Should I call a general contractor? Would a plumber be the guy to talk to? There will be carpentry work involved. I just don't know where to begin. How would you go about finding out how this job should be done?

Do you have a neighbor or friend who has done some construction work? That is who I would talk to first. He might keep you from making a costly mistake.

If you have plumbing and electric near a closet, I would think that is the best place. Stackable units will fit in a smallish closet. 

If you have a closet behind a bathroom vanity, the job might be trivial.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
If I couldn't install them myself I would look for a handyman service or a general contractor.
Who to call for this job?