I came across this one today and am curious about the orange pieces and what they were used for.  
[Image: 00v0v_7frVBofE6HS_1200x900.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Seems to me that is an odd question from a member who has 27,545 posts. That many posts shows that you've been around here a while and thus you must have gleaned some semblance of knowledge.

Not to be critical, just curious as to why you need help understanding what you are seeing. It is obvious to me, because I guess I'm mechanically inclined. Maybe you are viewing the picture differently than me. But they are guides for the saw and a vise to hold the wood being sawed.
Dayle, look a little closer. I think he is questioning the orange pieces in the clamp itself. They probably don't go with the mitre clamp, someone put them there on a whim. Just my two cents worth.
The orange piece in front of the clamp is a clamp extension to hold narrow pieces, as the clamp only goes so far to hold 4" wide pieces, which is the maximum width for this machine.  Sold as a picture framer's tool.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Well I will take a swing at this dead cat.

1. The two orange pieces on top of the saw are guides. They keep the saw riding properly and also provide downside pressure.

2. The orange handle is used to adjust the vise. Turn it one way to clamp the workpiece. Turn it the other way to release the workpiece.

3. The orange casting on the floor of the box is actually the vise dynamic jaw. It moves when the orange handle (#2) is turned and it is used to clamp the workpiece and hold it securely while the saw does its business.

I do not think these pieces were painted orange at the factory. It looks like the previous owner marked his tool. Perhaps he took it to a jobsite and did not want someone mistaking it for theirs.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I have never heard of one of these so I went to brother Google about it.  The first hit for me was someone asking how to get a replacement saw guide.  So maybe it was painted by someone who was worried about missing parts.  I'm having a failure of imagination going from this one picture.  Not sure I see how this thing works
(05-09-2017, 08:02 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: I do not think these pieces were painted orange at the factory. It looks like the previous owner marked his tool. Perhaps he took it to a jobsite and did not want someone mistaking it for theirs.

The 1953 Stanley catalog says "The machine is made entirely of metal and finished in grey enamel with red trim"  

It may be that "red" could be dark orange??  That or Jim is correct.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Stanley called it a "low clamp" on their parts diagram, available on Stan Fallin's website under "Stanley Tools", and then "Miter Boxes and Sawsets"-Link
As Admiral said, it was used to fit into the rabbet of a piece of frame stock in order to clamp it. Some picture frame molding profiles are quite complex, and can't be easily clamped in the miter vise, hence the need for one or more of these.
Rick W
(05-09-2017, 07:19 AM)theoldfart Wrote: Dayle, look a little closer. I think he is questioning the orange pieces in the clamp itself. They probably don't go with the mitre clamp, someone put them there on a whim. Just my two cents worth.

That is what I was asking about seems I came to the wrong place.  Those little orange pieces are cast and fit around the edges of the clamp with a bevel to prevent movement.  Not sure what benefit they would provide.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(05-09-2017, 04:35 AM)Dayle1960 Wrote: Seems to me that is an odd question from a member who has 27,545 posts.  That many posts shows that you've been around here a while and thus you must have gleaned some semblance of knowledge.

Not to be critical, just curious as to why you need help understanding what you are seeing.  It is obvious to me, because I guess I'm mechanically inclined.  Maybe you are viewing the picture differently than me.  But they are guides for the saw and a vise to hold the wood being sawed.

Seems to me that he's trying to learn something new.  Post count doesn't equate knowledge.

*To* be critical:  You're being a jerk.
Semper fi,
Brad

Question about an old Stanley No 100