I have been working on my hand cut dovetails, and so far the process has been going fairy well.  The natural beginner mistakes such as large gaps, and mistakenly chopping out a tail instead of a pin, but overall it has been fun journey.  I was curious if anyone has any particular brand or style of chisels they use for dovetails.  I currently have a set of Sandvik Swedish chisels in 1/4", 1/2" and 1", and a 3/8" Veritas PM-V11 chisel.  The Sandvik's have a nice feel to them, however they don't hold an edge that long.  The PM-V11 on the other hand is a pleasure to use.  It holds an edge for a long time, and feels really comfortable and balanced. Like anything else, good things come at a price.  Just curious what other options are out there, and if people have any particular brand or make they recommend for dovetails.  Thanks

Scott

I have a set I got from a grocery store called ALDI. I have another set made by Footprint that have spongy rubber handles. My third set was made by NAREX. I also have a couple of flea market beaters and a late model, plastic handle Buck Brothers or two that I got at Home Depot.

None of them hold a decent edge for very long and I can't tell any difference in the performance of any. I like the NAREX chisels the least though. I don't care for the wooden handles.

carl
[attachment=2473]
My "users".....mix of Aldi's, Buck Brothers, Butchers, Witherby, and a few others.....One Japanese Mortise chisel,   a "New Haven Edge Tool" 1/4" Mortise chisel.  That LONG chisel beside the Japanese 12mm is a Buck Brothers 5/16" mortise chisel.

Since I chop BOTH pins and tails, and I sit down while I work...IF an edge starts to feel a hair dull, I will strop the edge on the pants leg of my jeans.    A few passes on the bevel and the back, and back to work.

This Fathers' Day, you MIGHT want to check out the Aldis store....or find out where Paul Sellers found the same chisels.....he seems to like them..a lot.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
My "set" of chisels looks a lot like bandit571's, though I have fewer in my arsenal.

The one thing I'll say is, that for dovetails, you really do want a bevel-edged chisel. You don't need a whole set, just one or two thin ones for getting in between the tails. Even a small fishtail chisel would do.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
LN 750's, you won't be disappointed.

I've also heard good things about the Lee Valley chisels.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
I like Matsumura blue steel cabinet chisels from Japan Woodworker for dovetails. They are light, very maneuverable, sharpen to an incredible edge and hold it for a long time. They have a relatively thin edge which makes them good for getting into tight corners, and you can hit them with a steel hammer.
Lots of good ones out there. I started with Matsumura blue steel chisels. They kept a very keen edge, but maybe because I use hard woods, they chipped. All the time. I wasn't even that hard on them. I sold them, and used my Barr cabinet maker chisels for a while (I still have them for general chisel work). Eventually I emailed Stu at Tools From Japan, and asked for a recommendation. I ended up with a set of Koyamaichi dovetail chisels. Despite their slightly delicate appearance and the amount of banging they've taken, I care barely get them to dull, much less chip. And dang, do they get sharp.

Is it wrong to love a chisel?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
LN 750 
Narex mortise/skew/paring
love my set of PMV11's.  Still need to pickup the 2 newest smaller ones.  have the original set of 5.  Couldn't ask any more from a chisel.
I have several sets of chisels:  Lie-Nielsen A2 bench chisels, Veritas PM-V11, and Ashley Iles (O1) butt chisels.  For pure comfort, I really like the AI's, because they don't fatigue my hands when chopping.  I like to hold the chisel on the blade vs. the handle when I chop, so a longer, heavier chisel makes for a sore hand if chopping a lot.  The PM-V11 are marvelous, but as you say, kind of pricey.  I just purchased a PM-V11 butt chisel and will try that out.  Surprisingly, the AI O1 chisels keep their edge a long time.  I do love the feel of the LN chisels.  For a long time, they were my go to chisels for dovetailing.  They've been surpassed by the others.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
What types of chisels are you using