Sad 
After 20+ years and hundreds of thousands feet of lumber run through my table saw it finally happened. I ran my finger into the blade today. Got lucky and it cut in next to the bone and not into it. All of the nail is gone and a good portion of meat. Moral of the story; Always keep your head in the game, never take anything for granted and follow your instincts. Yesterday my wife asked me how come I hadn't been in the shop for over week. I told her I had a real bad feeling about doing any work out there. I let deadlines for orders get to me, now it will be a long time before I can get anything done.

Bummer! Get well soon!
(06-01-2017, 03:29 PM)Angus Wrote: After 20+ years and hundreds of thousands feet of lumber run through my table saw it finally happened. I ran my finger into the blade today. Got lucky and it cut in next to the bone and not into it. All of the nail is gone and a good portion of meat. Moral of the story; Always keep your head in the game, never take anything for granted and follow your instincts. Yesterday my wife asked me how come I hadn't been in the shop for over week. I told her I had a real bad feeling about doing any work out there. I let deadlines for orders get to me, now it will be a long time before I can get anything done.

Well better your finger then your head.
Rolleyes
Laugh   Do not worry you will be back and turning in 6 weeks.  Your customers will understand.  By the way was it your picken finger.
Raised
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I forgot to tell you and the others

I contacted Jerry Bennett and Denny Edwards the guy who did the dizzy bowl.

Jerry was very nice and answered my questions and sent me an email with his stop for cutting the segments and it was Scenerymaker who put it together for me a month ago and Jerry was good enough and sending me two of his angle templates. 

Denny answered about 10 emails asking him a ton of questions and sent me the Excel spreadsheet on the cutting and measuring parts and that is were I had all the questions and he was very patient in answering all of them.

So when the shop is done by Aug 1 and I move everything over there I will start making some segmented stuff.  I am sold on Jerry Bennett's sled and really how I can make hundreds of cut wood and all of them will fit.  I just need to make sure I put all 8, 12, 24, or 36 segments in separate containers since they will not mix.
I also liked Jerry's last YouTube on how he made compound cuts and how it worked all together to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
A sobering reminder. Get well soon.
I did that, ripping my finger about an inch. I was surprised at the healing process, no stitches, just keeping it wrapped in  saline soaked gauze and plastic wrap. You can see the skin/tissue regenerating, which was cool, however it feels kinda fuzzy feeling.
Hang in there, you'll be out for a while but meat heals and you'll be able to get back to turning.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I cringe just thinking about it.  I'm glad it wasn't worse.  Hope you heal up quickly and do indeed, keep your head in the game.  As a fighter pilot once told me:  "You can be the best pilot in the world, but it only takes one moment of inattention to ruin your day."
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
What's a table saw?

Seriously, sorry you got hurt.  Hope you heal quickly.
Caught myself a couple of years back. Minor damage on the end of middle finger on left hand. It's still tender and weird looking.

Best of luck with recovery.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
I'm finally a statistic