Had a small bit of 1x Maple, just sitting around.    Decided to try something a bit...different, this time.
Uhoh

Had a few of those old Butcher's saws, wasn't able to find much use for them.....except for a few parts.
Cool  
[attachment=5604]
Ripped one piece of 1 x4 into a pair of blanks.   I watched a video a few times, with one blank in hand..and a pen.   tried to copy how the fellow was forming it into a handle..
[attachment=5605]
Then used this to cut the same  for the other end.   3/8" hole was drilled for the blade holder.   There is also a 1/4" hole at the top, for the threaded rod to go through.   A wingnut to tighten the rod will go up there.   I also ripped a 1" wide  stretcher...
[attachment=5606]
Will use a mortise and tenon connection for it.   Where the tenon meets the handle, things will take on a curve, like this

...((........))...  to allow a little flex. 
Saw will not need to be a "turning" saw,  will be just a crosscut saw.  Length of this contraption?
Confused  
[attachment=5607]
Well this is a start, at any rate.   There IS a youtube site, called Traditional Chinese Woodworking....has a LOT of videos ...in Mandarin.
Raised 
I have used a few of them to make a couple planes.   One should go there, just to watch the high speed mortise chopping.  There is also a multi-cutter Marking gauge he uses....might try to build one...someday.
Confused 

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

I have a kit--the metal parts--for a small bow saw from Tools For Working Wood. I keep thinking, what is the threshold for failure of the wood and optimum comfortable weight? The parts sit in a box unfinished.

(11-07-2017, 12:51 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I have a kit--the metal parts--for a small bow saw from Tools For Working Wood. I keep thinking, what is the threshold for failure of the wood and optimum comfortable weight? The parts sit in a box unfinished.

Might be about time to build that kit.....the fellow in that video had a couple DOZEN hanging in his shop,  in all sizes and tooth counts.....
Spokeshave to shape the handles a little better
[attachment=5625]
Jig to hold things until this is chopped..
[attachment=5626]
Dry fit..
[attachment=5627]
After the tenons were fitted.   Blade assembly was added, wingnuts tightened down as far as I could....
[attachment=5628]
And added a clamp to pull the blade tighter.    need to buy a 1/4" rod to replace that clamp....might need the clamp on other things
Winkgrin 
Will need to sand things smooth, and add a finish of some sort.    Might be almost done?
Rolleyes
Winkgrin 
Stay tuned

(11-08-2017, 02:08 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Spokeshave to shape the handles a little better

Jig to hold things until this is chopped..

Dry fit..

After the tenons were fitted.   Blade assembly was added, wingnuts tightened down as far as I could....

And added a clamp to pull the blade tighter.    need to buy a 1/4" rod to replace that clamp....might need the clamp on other things
Winkgrin 
Will need to sand things smooth, and add a finish of some sort.    Might be almost done?
Rolleyes
Winkgrin 
Stay tuned

Can you use a turnbuckle to keep tension on the blade? I have seen them where you find gate hardware at the store...
5/16"  all-thread, is installed....test cut?
Cool
[attachment=5630]
Works great as a crosscut saw.....the wood is Hard Maple.
[attachment=5631]
One end of the rod has the washer, and wingnut....the other end?
[attachment=5632]
Was "folded" into a mortise.  
[attachment=5633]
This is the "exit" from the saw cut. 
[attachment=5634]
May give the maple parts a coat of shellac...later?
Confused

Blade makes a "Twang...." if you tap it.    Not sure what "note" to tune it to....
Winkgrin

I think this just might do ....
Rolleyes
Saw now has a coat or two of Amber Shellac on the Maple parts..
[attachment=5659]
I still have one more ( at the moment..
Uhoh ) "parts saw"..
[attachment=5660]
In case I  ever want to try this again
Rolleyes .....Disston USA, 24" blade.   Seems a shame to just let it rust away
No
Are you retired?  You seen to have a lot of time to make great projects.  I still hate your guts.
Big Grin

Personally I'd probably have used jute to make a tensioner.  All thread seems a wee bit of overkill, unless you had it laying around.

(11-10-2017, 05:47 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: Are you retired?  You seen to have a lot of time to make great projects.  I still hate your guts.
Big Grin

Personally I'd probably have used jute to make a tensioner.  All thread seems a wee bit of overkill, unless you had it laying around.

Yep, been retired for over 2 yrs now....all-thread was cheap....and saved me from cutting threads on a steel rod.    The twine would have cost more.
A use for Maple scraps