Politics 
I just received a deburring wheel from an Ebay dealer today..I ordered it two days ago...It is even better that the ones I had and sold here a few years ago..and the price is less than one third of the American made wheels like 3M etc. The one I bought is 6" diameter and one inch thick, instead of the 1/2" thick versions, and they fit a 1/2" arbor without the use of bushings. The one I just received is 180grit which is excellent for general use but they are also available in 300 and 400 grits..The shipping price was included and the total was just over 14 dollars, but I have seen them in that same category {scroll down} for $11.50 including shipping..It is branded as Uxcell..
  These wheels are the nuts for tool restoration...I mount mine on an old motor shaft with an arbor, which places the wheel farther from the motor housing making it more versatile for use on plane bodies etc.
   There are several sellers for these wheels and I have no connection with any of them other than as a customer...I won't post a link but you can find them by going to eBay, type in the search box "Nylon Fiber polishing wheels" All categories...And they also have them in 8" diameters and 2" thick for about $18.00 shipping included.
  Have fun!!!!!!
Big Grin  
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks. I've been looking at getting one of those wheels yet I hadn't come across a supplier. I appreciate you giving us this info.
Glad I saw this post. I wanted one of those wheels back when there was a lot of chatter about them on this forum. At that time, apparently only available from 3M, they were too pricey for me. They look affordable now. "Nylon fiber polishing wheels" brings up the Uxcell wheels on Amazon.com
I don't want to brag, but some of my wood is on its 2nd or 3rd project!

(11-08-2017, 06:40 PM)DaveLeard Wrote: Glad I saw this post. I wanted one of those wheels back when there was a lot of chatter about them on this forum. At that time, apparently only available from 3M, they were too pricey for me. They look affordable now. "Nylon fiber polishing wheels" brings up the Uxcell wheels on Amazon.com
After posting this I went to Amazon Prime and they have them also as you say.., and the same brand..so I ordered another one and it was $8.86 including shipping....much cheaper but it was the last one in stock right now.. they do have similar wheels of a different brand for just a few bucks more.. so If you have amazon, check there also...If you order the 8" wheel, remember it is 2" wide and may be too wide to fit your arbor shaft...and keep in mind that it has a hole slightly larger than 5/8"..but you can wrap a couple of turns of black tape around your arbor shaft to keep the wheel centered..

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(11-08-2017, 09:30 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
After posting this I went to Amazon Prime and they have them also as you say.., and the same brand..so I ordered another one and it was $8.86 including shipping....much cheaper but it was the last one in stock right now.. they do have similar wheels of a different brand for just a few bucks more.. so If you have amazon, check there also...If you order the 8" wheel, remember it is 2" wide and may be too wide to fit your arbor shaft...and keep in mind that it has a hole slightly larger than 5/8"..but you can wrap a couple of turns of black tape around your arbor shaft to keep the wheel centered..

Jack:  what rpm is optimal for these wheels?  I'm thinking of a drill press mount......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

(11-09-2017, 08:34 AM)Admiral Wrote: Jack:  what rpm is optimal for these wheels?  I'm thinking of a drill press mount......

Rich, I prefer running them at 1725 or so for 6" wheels.....IME, "soft" wheels react like they are "harder" than they are at higher speeds...They'll work just fine on your drill press {or lathe} because you have the option of changing speeds to suit the task..You will want to avoid "stubbing" sharp edges into the rotation of the wheel because it could "grab" the work..Like any soft wheel you should always "trail" the work WITH the rotation instead of stubbing against it.
   BTW..I just ordered an 8" X 1" wheel on Ebay for $7.76 INCLUDING shipping!!! That is a heckova good deal!!!!
Winkgrin  
Big Grin  
Big Grin
   Another thing...You can also mount one in a wood lathe instead of a grinder or drill press...You can buy a #2 Morse Taper adapter with a 1/2"  or 5/8" arbor shaft..I prefer using a taper attachment over an adjustable chuck because these wheels are impregnated with an abrasive...in use that abrasive will be "released" and those abrasive grains could work their way into the inner workings of your adjustable
chuck.
   To prevent the taper attachment from working loose in the head shaft, you can drill and tap the end of it for an all-thread rod to go through the shaft, then you can add a washer and tighten a nut on the threaded rod to make sure it does not work loose.
  One other tip and I will shut up...If you plan to mount the wheel in your drill or lathe chuck, you may want to place a plastic bag over the chuck to prevent the abrasive from getting into it..A little grit inside a chuck can gum up the gearing.. and a bag can prevent that..
Upset  
Upset

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks Jack.  Good tips here, others should pay attention as (to quote Al Pacino from "Scent of a Woman"), "I'm giving you pearls here ..... this is just the start of your education, son." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-6xoT5Z2nA
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

(11-09-2017, 02:54 PM)Admiral Wrote: Thanks Jack.  Good tips here, others should pay attention as (to quote Al Pacino from "Scent of a Women"), "I'm giving you pearls here ..... this is just the start of your education, son." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-6xoT5Z2nA

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Threads like this are why I love this place. Not only are the tips educational, so are the questions.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Rust removal/tool restoration