Just starting up.....hauled a couple boards to the shop....one at a time.  Had marked a rough length, enough to get two pieces from the first board....second board had only enough to make one blank....plus a blank for a drawer front, maybe....had to crosscut the boards...
[attachment=6482]
Since this is just a rough cut, I could use the old Disston D-112.   Even got a bit of Cardio going
Winkgrin between the saw and going up and down the stairs a few times...
What I thought was flat sawn Ash....
Confused  
[attachment=6483]
maybe not?   The extra blank?
[attachment=6484]
maybe a drawer front..or a panel for a door?
Confused 

set up to joint a few edges...
[attachment=6485]
For some reason, I was unable to plug the jointer in..
No
[attachment=6486]
Must be a new-fangled "Cordless" model
Winkgrin   ( Stanley No. 7c, T-9)

Will try for an earlier start on Friday....need to get the three blanks all glued up into a panel..and OFF my bench.
Upset ..have a few more panels to make.
Yes  

Step Back Cupboard.   To make things easier to move, it will be in two parts.   Building the base unit right now.....a Bookcase top will be after the base is done.    Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Big Grin 
You did go into the woods, chop the tree down, debark it, cut to ten foot lengths, rip boards to width, THEN drag them down to the basement, right?  
Big Grin

(12-22-2017, 04:13 AM)Tynyyn Wrote: You did go into the woods, chop the tree down, debark it, cut to ten foot lengths, rip boards to width, THEN drag them down to the basement, right?  
Big Grin

other than the last bit...the fellow that cut down the tree did the rest.  
Rolleyes
Spent just over 2 hours in the shop, once Lunch was done.
Got a few edges jointed..
[attachment=6493]
At least so the gaps were gone....wrestled with the clamps and cauls and glue, just so a panel could get off my bench..
[attachment=6494]
Hauled some more boards to the shop, and used an old handsaw...
[attachment=6495]
I soon had three blanks for side 2, and three blanks for the case's top
[attachment=6496]
So, next time down to the shop, I can joint a few more edges, and glue up another panel...
Flat sawn my....
Raised 
[attachment=6497]
Looks more like 1/4 sawn to me...
That is pretty unique, interesting, attractive, and 'wow' grain!
Big Grin
Ugly outside the window..
No 
[attachment=6516]
And an ugly board carried down to the shop...
Uhoh  
[attachment=6517]
Cut the nasty ends off..
[attachment=6518]
Marked out where the best section was, about 2-1/2" wide....saw the not so good sections off..
[attachment=6519]
And keep the good section from the middle. ( save the other two for smaller stuff, after I remove that knot)
Then started to joints about 8 edges,  some didn't need too much work...
Rolleyes 
[attachment=6520]
Will get a rebate there, to house the plywood back panel...just needed to be straight.

Battery in the camera died, my back was acting up, and it was time for Lunch. 

Maybe later, I can get panel #1 out of the clamps, and put panel #2 in the clamps....moving along at the speed of...smell
Rolleyes 

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Yes I believe you have ash there.
Laugh  Something about your pictures, seems to change colors sometimes.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-23-2017, 04:15 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes I believe you have ash there.
Laugh  Something about your pictures, seems to change colors sometimes.

Two kinds of light sources in the shop, camera acts differently towards either light..
Where do you get your ideas for these types of projects? Do you see a pic and replicate it or do you just have it in your minds eye on what you want it to look like?

(12-23-2017, 07:31 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: Where do you get your ideas for these types of projects?  Do you see a pic and replicate it or do you just have it in your minds eye on what you want it to look like?

Both.   Wife sees something she likes/wants....then the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up gets to work. Never used ready made plans. 

I also try to use what lumber I have on hand as a starting point for a project.
another build thread...