A nice little hand tool project, and very useful....He uses Tallow but a mixture of beeswax and oil "could" be used instead. Maybe 2/3rds beeswax and 1/3 camellia oil melted together to form a grease when it solidifies slightly...I have used beeswax and coconut oil, which is solid at most room temps and it's good for the hands...Excellent for protecting both steel and wood as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip88T0XQ...xj4EaJZcBb
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Yes, it is a fun project 
Smile

[attachment=6867]

(01-04-2018, 08:42 AM)knockknock Wrote: Yes, it is a fun project 
Smile

Sweet!!!
Yes

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Neat! 18th century Chapstick. 
Laugh  (I use what is handy and a tube was.)
That sure looks like a fun project. I think I'll give it a try.
Thanks a bunch for posting it
Schwarz has a suggestion here that I can summarize succinctly: use Crisco.

(01-05-2018, 11:16 AM)Alan S Wrote: Schwarz has a suggestion here that I can summarize succinctly: use Crisco.

Yeah, I don't know where I'd ever find mutton tallow any way.

Beef tallow is easily sourced tho. You can get nice sized bricks in the pet supply isle.

(01-05-2018, 11:24 AM)Rick Barton Wrote: Yeah, I don't know where I'd ever find mutton tallow any way.

Beef tallow is easily sourced tho. You can get nice sized bricks in the pet supply isle.
Lee Valley was stocking mutton tallow...and Dixie Gun Works used to stock it. Beef tallow should be fine except that sheep have lanolin which was at one time thought to be good for dry skin. The whole idea is to use something on wood or metal that would shield it from oxygen and/or moisture.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

In my mad dash to get the best lubricant/rust protection for tools I came across wool fat and lavender. I didn't think lard was very sexy, and as an ex wrestler knew the value of lanolin. Lavender has the same essential oils as camphor, a rust inhibitor. So, the stuff can serve two roles.
Roy Underhill's grease pot