A friend just sent me a new, unused set of Record 405 Multiplane Cutters.  Very kind of him!  I am wondering if these cutters can be used with a Stanley 45 and a Stanley 55?

(02-13-2018, 11:25 AM)gregbois Wrote: A friend just sent me a new, unused set of Record 405 Multiplane Cutters.  Very kind of him!  I am wondering if these cutters can be used with a Stanley 45 and a Stanley 55?

They should fit the slot and the blade holder cam should work.  However, depending on the vintage of the #45 or #55, the may not engage the adjuster fully.  Some need a slot in the side, others ribs on the back and some just push down from the end without being able to pull the cutter back with the thumbwheel.

But if they fit the slot, you can always tap them lightly to advance and slack off the grip and pull them back to start over.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Only if the Stanley 45/55 in question is located about 50 miles north of San Francisco, in a small town once famed for its apples.  Let me know, and I'll send you my address...

Everything I've ever seen confirms what Rob says.  Record was copy-engineering Stanley's design pretty strongly.
Stanley 45 / Record Cutters