Every couple of days, I get an e-mail claiming to be from "Woodnet Community," that sounds like a scam.  Today's starts out, "We know that you asked for it 3 weeks ago, for that we are so sorry for delay, The plans of china hutch are available..."  I just delete them - I don't want to do anything that would open me up to a scam.

Does WoodNet send out any such e-mails, or is my instinct correct?

Smells more like Ted's 16,000 plan scam going around....
Upset
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Scam.

Go to "mail settings"- "spam settings"- type in the words or the address and block it.
(03-07-2018, 09:35 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Every couple of days, I get an e-mail claiming to be from "Woodnet Community," that sounds like a scam.  Today's starts out, "We know that you asked for it 3 weeks ago, for that we are so sorry for delay, The plans of china hutch are available..."  I just delete them - I don't want to do anything that would open me up to a scam.

Does WoodNet send out any such e-mails, or is my instinct correct?

I get those exact same emails.  I've created a filter in Gmail to route them directly to the spam folder so I never have to see them.

Mike
Me, too, Bill.  I just assume someone hacked the woodnet site and harvested all the email addresses.  I just delete.  Maybe it’s time to get ambitious and add a filter to my mail.
You should always have a random junk email address for forums and for those you suspect and leave the important email address for real use.

I have 4 I use.
Welcome to WoodNet V2.  When the software switched over and we had to login using our email address, I believe our email addresses were all compromised or hacked.  (WoodNet denies this.)  Prior to the software switch, I never, ever got any spam related to WoodNet.  I get those emails every few days.  They go straight into the spam folder and deleted.  I don't even open them up.  Don't bother to open one up and unsubscribe, either.  It'll just confirm to the sender you have a legit email address, and the sender probably sells his list to other spammers.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I no longer even get the spam in my gmail.
Go into your google group settings and remove Ted or Brain, whichever one you have, in those settings.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have had these "woodnet" called spams occasionally but they are not persistent, and go directly to my spam folder. I found Ted's (or, his cousin's) library of stolen plans and they are free. A couple are useful. 

Daddo has part of the answer, extra junk/public email addresses. I have a second one that I actively use for less junky. Having MS Outlook (comes with Office) helps keep them all ordered--5 addies. So far Outlook is safer in keeping integrity than even Google's Web Mail. After 20 years of use, I will be scrambling to find a replacement in a couple years, however. 

My big headache is businesses who think they are above "un-subscribe." Woodcraft is the worst with at least one email a day. They now have nothing I need or want to buy--payback. The abusers, er... spammers kill a good service.

Oh, I turned off Woodnet Messager. It wood be nice to get them from members directly, but I get every comment on every thread I post to. No combo of switches seems to fix the issue. So, don't send me a private message.

(03-08-2018, 11:22 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I have had these "woodnet" called spams occasionally but they are not persistent, and go directly to my spam folder. I found Ted's (or, his cousin's) library of stolen plans and they are free. A couple are useful. 

Daddo has part of the answer, extra junk/public email addresses. I have a second one that I actively use for less junky. Having MS Outlook (comes with Office) helps keep them all ordered--5 addies. So far Outlook is safer in keeping integrity than even Google's Web Mail. After 20 years of use, I will be scrambling to find a replacement in a couple years, however. 

My big headache is businesses who think they are above "un-subscribe." Woodcraft is the worst with at least one email a day. They now have nothing I need or want to buy--payback. The abusers, er... spammers kill a good service.

Oh, I turned off Woodnet Messager. It wood be nice to get them from members directly, but I get every comment on every thread I post to. No combo of switches seems to fix the issue. So, don't send me a private message.

Our woodworking club site is hosted by Daddio, and now a large number of our members are getting phishing junk emails trying to get someone to take their bait. So now I will get emails from the "person" who is the club president asking me to buy gift certificates on line for door prizes,etc. that will be reimbursed by him. Yah, right.
Emails I keep getting