Well, before all that excitement over the weekend...had a road trip.   Stopped at a little place, and spent ..$5
Uhoh
[attachment=9479]
But these had a few "Good Bones" to them..
Winkgrin 
[attachment=9480]
The "bent" one even had a readable stamp on the socket....And was 1" wide...the 3/4" chisel needed to loose that mushroom....
[attachment=9481]
Took  a while ( and a chunk off a knuckle..
Mad )  found a couple loaner handles.   The 3/4" chisel had a surprise...once cleaned up, a stamp appeared on the blade.   T. H. Witherby.    The wide chisel was made just down the road, at Union Hardware Co.   Both are from Torrington, CONN, USA
Backs are flat..
[attachment=9482]
The Witherby will go nicely  with my 1/2" wide one..
[attachment=9483]
Maybe I should work on building a set of these?  Should be decent enough chisels...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Those look great. How do you deal with the mushrooming?

(03-27-2018, 04:26 AM)johndi Wrote: Those look great. How do you deal with the mushrooming?

I just grind off the outside flush with the socket, then use a plumber's reamer to smooth the inside of the socket.  You can lose a bit of the socket and still have enough "meat" there to hold a handle securely.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Road trip finds, Skimpy