I found condensation betweeen the frog and blade on my jointer plane. We had a cold night and I used the plane at lunch and put it back in my anarchist tool chest. In the evening I found the condensation. I'm assuming the warm moist lunch air caused condensation on the cold plane at lunch but I'm not certain. At any rate I have bought an 18" goldenrod dehumidifier but am wondering if this will overheat my tools or wooden toolbox. The box is 2'x2'x3'. Any other anarchist tool chest users out there using a goldenrod? Would like to hear your experience?

Get thee some proper lubrication for the tools (Boeshield, or similar products). I would concentrate more on constant climate in your workshop, rather than in your tool box.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I would love to climate control my shop, but it's a detached 2 car garage with no insulation... might be cost prohibitive for me to make the required upgrades
You need an oily rag to wipe down the steel before returning to the box.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me

(04-10-2018, 07:32 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: You need an oily rag to wipe down the steel before returning to the box.

About the oily rag thing, is there a concern about spontaneous combustion?  I keep one in my garage, but I always keep it draped over a piece of steel so the "fumes" can't build up.

Am I overly protective?  I do think it makes for a good barrier for rust.

(04-10-2018, 07:57 PM)toolmiser Wrote: About the oily rag thing, is there a concern about spontaneous combustion?  I keep one in my garage, but I always keep it draped over a piece of steel so the "fumes" can't build up.

I keep my oily rags in a ziplock bag...The film of oil you apply to the tool won't cause it, and it will keep the moisture away from contacting the steel and causing the rust.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-10-2018, 07:57 PM)toolmiser Wrote: About the oily rag thing, is there a concern about spontaneous combustion?  I keep one in my garage, but I always keep it draped over a piece of steel so the "fumes" can't build up.

You are confusing the types of oils.

A rag with a soak of 3-in-1 or even a splash of MobilOne won't be a danger the same way one used to apply boiled linseed oil or Watco is.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Again, look to products like Boeshield (sure some others will suggest other brands). You want something non-silicone containing and moisture displacing. Boeshield lasts up to six months per coating. WD-40 might be a week ot two.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
i don't see anything wrong with a goldenrod in this situation.  Best to keep the box shut most of the time I would think
I installed a Goldenrod Dehumidifier in my wall mounted tool cabinet shortly after I completed it's construction back in 2008 (Holy COW! It's been THAT long?). The trick to using them was to put it some place low in my tool cabinet and then cut some 1 1/2" dia holes in the interior divider. (I'd attach photos to show you what I did but the new Forum software is causing my computer to hang up every time I try it)

It really doesn't heat up that much. I can reach in and touch it without getting burned. It's about as warm as low wattage light bulb. It just raises the temp to discourage condensation from forming on your tools

It's kept my hand planes somewhat rust free. I say somewhat because I still wipe them down all my steel hand tools with a small dab of Lee Valley's Conservators wax whenever I'm done using them
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Anarchist toolchest, Rust, and a goldenrod