Now, have any of you ever bought a tool that just "feels perfect"? It's been a while for me, however, I just had a Lee Valley delivery today, with one of those tools. It is the LV cast aluminum low angle spokeshave. Bear in mind, I have a number of shaves, including both LN flat and round bottoms, a Hamilton new version of a low angle wooden spokeshave, at least a half dozen different Prestons in my accumulation, maybe a dozen or more old Stanleys and other makes.

Why another? Well, I don't know! But the LV free shipping plus using an old Stanley 65 chamfer shave, that had a used up blade, had me looking for a new blade for the old Stanley (I'm going to make my own). Anyhow, this was the first time I ever gave the Lee Valley low angle shave a close look, and I thought I would give it a try. It feels perfect in my hands and the heft made it very easy to use. It adjusts easily and holds the blade adjustments well.

I do have a suggestion for Lee Valley: instead of powder coating the spokeshave black, why not a brown? It would then have a close look to vintage shaves!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com

Good to hear. I love my #65 chamfer shave but have to admit that the #72 plane is easier to use. Most metal spokeshaves are just poorly adjustable handplanes with weird handles.

But whenever I need a real spokeshave, I dig out one of my vintage woodies. It works more like a drawknife with a mouth. I like to set the blade close on one side and closer on the other. That way I can move the body of the shave laterally and change the depth of cut to get it just right.

Never used the LV but I am sure it works great. It is another one of those "lost art" tools of yore.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(04-12-2018, 02:42 PM)Tony Z Wrote:  Anyhow, this was the first time I ever gave the Lee Valley low angle shave a close look, and I thought I would give it a try.  It feels perfect in my hands and the heft made it very easy to use.  It adjusts easily and holds the blade adjustments well.  

I love my pair. I keep one set flat and the other curve, and use them both when spoon carving.  That low angle is very forgiving in uphill cutting, which is nice because I don't have to keep re-clamping on the horse when working a handle.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

(04-13-2018, 05:01 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: I love my pair. I keep one set flat and the other curve, and use them both when spoon carving.  That low angle is very forgiving in uphill cutting, which is nice because I don't have to keep re-clamping on the horse when working a handle.

This tool has been on the market for years, and I'm wondering why it doesn't seem to be mentioned much. Definitely modern in design, but as you said, very forgiving and very easy to use.

Just why not brown powder coating?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Lee Valley spokeshave