For years, I've been looking for the miter saw that goes with my Dad's Stanley miter box.  I knew I had it somewhere but I haven't been able to find it since 2004 when I cleaned out their house.  The other day I was digging around for something and walla, there it was, leaning against a wall in a seldom-used corner.  The only problem is, now I can't figure out where I put the box itself, but it's here somewhere, I know because I tripped over it for 10 years before hiding it... somewhere...

I've only begun to clean it up, and this is my first attempt at cleaning up a saw.  I wonder if anyone has any info on it or can point me to some?

I appreciate any input.

[Image: 3D1FC3CA-3FD7-45C4-B9BF-55E8DCC778D0_zpsdj59msd2.jpg]

[Image: C8FA3149-4C91-4C16-B158-7293CC8283BE_zpshjh1pyst.jpg]

[Image: BDBC4A93-8BDE-4AA2-A826-FB1861DB2842_zps5emobthk.jpg]

[Image: 88342DF8-4E86-4AF3-8BEF-C0CD27069EAA_zpsoipps28q.jpg]
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.

First, I want to thank you for showing me I'm not the only one that does that. I am far less qualified than others here, but I would use a maroon Scotchbrite pad glued to a block and some WD-40 or whatever you have handy as a lubricant and take full length passes down the plate with very little pressure on the block.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$

Thanks Dave, first pass was a maroon pad with PB Blaster, 2nd pass was a maroon pad with Ballistol.  Nothing more seems to want to come off, even with a razor blade.

Oh, and I was in a hurry, sorry about the upside-down handle.
Mike

Put the scratchy pad under a palmsander.  
[attachment=9808]
Have done a few..
[attachment=9809]
Just takes a bit of time..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Maybe I’ll try that.
Mike

(04-14-2018, 01:35 PM)KSMike Wrote: Maybe I’ll try that.

Scotchbrite under a palm sander does a lot.  Follow that up with some Autosol, or other metal polish, and it will look like a million bucks.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
This site has some great info on restoring a saw plate. I used a lot of the info there when rehabbing my 1890's backsaw. They also make some great stuff ( a little out of my price range).
http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/bad-axe-t...ticles.php
Thank you all. Once upon a time I considered asking Bad Axe to make a replacement for this saw. Fortunately I never acted on it, since I knew this would turn up eventually. I’m sure it’s nothing special - 1950’s or 60’s.
Mike

Mike,
A couple of years back I refurbed a Stanley Miter box that I got at an auction. I actually had a smaller one I got from Admiral (Rich) but wanted to larger one for crown molding.

[attachment=9926]
[attachment=9927]

I cleaned the blade with a razor blade and windex. Then I followed up with 400 to 600 grit sandpaper blocked up by a piece of 2x4. I took the saw nuts off and then polished them a bit.

[attachment=9928]
[attachment=9929]
[attachment=9930]

After cleaning the miter box up I resharpened the saw and used it for the molding in my Family Room. Worked like a charm
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
Your saw turned out great!
Mike

Miter saw