Well, shop has been "spring cleaned", an old Plough plane rehabbed.    Cleared the top of the bench off.....and promptly buried it in shavings.

Used the Mitresaw
Rolleyes 

No, mine does not have a motor on it..unless you count me
Laugh
Needed to squared a few ends, and cut other pieces for length....

Used these two and a #4 to match the thicknesses between a few pieces....some were a might too thick.  I also used that Stanley #7c, and the Millers Falls #14 to joint a few edges..to match other edges.  Was trying to get a "Book Match" for the box's bottom panel..
Rolleyes

Got fairly close
Cool  decided to glue and clamp them up..

Then laid out for some Finger/Box Joint work..

Only had an hour to spend IN the shop today....too many road trips.  Maybe tomorrow, eh?

Then I can make a bunch of sawdust, and use a chisel to chop out the waste.   Later make some moldings to house the top and bottom panels?   Tip will be just a lift-off  lid. 
Stay tuned...this might be fun.....
Uhoh
Rolleyes
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Looking forward to seeing what else you make.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Stomach Flu over the weekend, kind of shut the shop down ( too far from the bathroom
Uhoh )
Even though today IS a Monday..decided to at least get things ready to work, since the camera was all charged up, and ready..
Winkgrin 
[attachment=10080]
Most of what I use to make finger/box joints....there are a few other toys..
Rolleyes
[attachment=10081]
Mainly for marking out, and knife lines....Needed a light..
[attachment=10082]
And needed someplace to sit down at, while I work..
Winkgrin  
[attachment=10083]
Then removed one of the two "sides" from the vise, and finished a layout..
[attachment=10084]
Could have stopped here, for the day....but, since I was already down here....
Rolleyes
Winkgrin

Out of space for pictures
Upset  guess I'll have to do a two-parter?
Cool
Stay tuned...
OK, part 2 of this morning misadventures
Laugh 
Waxed the saw blade up, and made a few cuts...
[attachment=10085]
Then set up a chopping block...
[attachment=10086]
Used those "pins" to layout the spots on the matching piece, and cut and chop...
[attachment=10087]
Hey, 3 out of 4....laid out the fourth one.
[attachment=10088]
Used a square to fine tune the lines a bit.   Once #4 was cut and chopped, tried a dry fit..
Uhoh 
[attachment=10089]
I even laid the last end on top, to get a better idea of how things will look...details coming up..

Stay tuned..
Ok, it has been a few "moons" since the last time I made this joint....so, the first  dry fit wasn't all that great..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=10090]
But it can be tuned to fit a bit better..
other end piece is a tad thinner, so I worked on the thicker one, to get some "practice"  at doing these joints, again
Rolleyes  
[attachment=10091]
Big thing was to use the pins to lay out the other half of the joint, and saw on the waste side of the lines (  and learn to "DUCK!" when chopping out the waste, them chips will fly straight back at me)....How thin of a board?  
Confused  
[attachment=10092]
Just sitting on top, no cuts have been made.  Set the bottom panel up against to box..
[attachment=10092]
Box is still clamped to the chopping block, panel is just sitting ON the bench.    IF I trim the edges  for a slip fit, I can remoce a LARGE, EMPTY knot hole along the left side.

Maybe later this evening ( we'll see
Rolleyes ) I can work a bit more in the shop...
Confused

Stay tuned....
Winkgrin
Box needs molding made, for around the bottom....
Step 1: draw a pattern
[attachment=10125]
Step 2:  form the "bead"..
[attachment=10126]
Step 3: change the bead bit on the Stanley 45 to a "cove" cutter..
[attachment=10127]
Flip board over, use a #78 rebate plane..
[attachment=10128]
Finally, rip the section off from the board.
.[attachment=10129]
Reset the 45, and repeat until enough sticks are made for around the box. 

Happens when I am too cheap to BUY a stick of molding
Rolleyes
Winkgrin
Cool

All four corners now have the finger joints done.   Need to install a divider on the inside of the box, with a shallow dado.  Will add rails to sit a pair of trays on, as well.

May try to cut a foot profile on the mitered ends of the moldings...Once I know how long each part needs to be.   May get done after the Langdon 75 makes the mitre cuts?
Stay tuned...

(04-25-2018, 02:45 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Box needs molding made, for around the bottom....
Step 1: draw a pattern

Step 2:  form the "bead"..

Step 3: change the bead bit on the Stanley 45 to a "cove" cutter..

Flip board over, use a #78 rebate plane..

Finally, rip the section off from the board.
Reset the 45, and repeat until enough sticks are made for around the box. 

Happens when I am too cheap to BUY a stick of molding
Rolleyes
Winkgrin
Cool

All four corners now have the finger joints done.   Need to install a divider on the inside of the box, with a shallow dado.  Will add rails to sit a pair of trays on, as well.

May try to cut a foot profile on the mitered ends of the moldings...Once I know how long each part needs to be.   May get done after the Langdon 75 makes the mitre cuts?
Stay tuned...

Bandit

I love how you did the molding!  You would be right at home with the other wood workers back 500 years ago and hope I can learn from how you do things now.  Pretty
Cool
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Well...cussing has begun....
Uhoh 
Got a couple shallow dados done
Cool
[attachment=10133]
Flattened the divider that goes into them...
Yes 
[attachment=10134]
Then things turned ugly
Uhoh
Upset
While trying a dry fit, nothing wanted to stay put....finally just decided to glue and nail it up, so it would stay put..
Uhoh 
[attachment=10135]
Tried clamps on the ends, they needed cauls...two cauls + a clamp vs  two hands....cussing was getting a bit loud
Upset
Before I clamped the divider into it's spot, I added a couple nails...I also added a few nails along the bottom edges, to keep the bottom panel in place ( no glue , though)
[attachment=10136]
Then set this mess aside to dry, and worked on parts for at least one tray.....IF it works out, there may be a second one made...
Rolleyes 
[attachment=10137]
If not...there is always the Firepit
Laugh .   Needs a plywood bottom made, and a little more work on that handle.   Glue and nails for the assembly.  Nuttin fancy
Rolleyes

Today is kind of booked up....maybe tomorrow I can get back to the shop?    Stay tuned...
Cussing has begun
Upset but, molding has been installed onto the box....AFTER it came out of the clamps, and the corner joints cleaned up....
[attachment=10144]
Some corners came out better than others....
Rolleyes 
[attachment=10145]
Still debating on how to work the lid..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=10146]
Maybe some molding and make it a lift off style, or, some fancy strap hinges....we'll see
Got the rails for one tray installed ( still have to BUILD the tray)
[attachment=10147]
Will see how the tray  turns out, before I try a second one
Rolleyes  but all the parts are made for the first tray.   Even have the plywood bottom cut to size
Cool

Stay tuned....IF I can manage some shop time
Rolleyes
Ok, tray is now done......
Rolleyes 
[attachment=10171]
I also milled a finger groove on both sides of the handle....gouge, then some sanding....had to thicken the rails a bit...Murphy made them too skinny..
Uhoh 
[attachment=10172]
Then used the tray to install three hinges,   little screws like to roll away.   Had to go and dig up the screwdriver...as it was the only Phillips that was small enough 
[attachment=10173]
The attached a latch to the front..
[attachment=10174]
After some more sanding, and fine tuning that latch ( which will get replaced by a new one) a coat of Golden Oak stain was added...everywhere..
Winkgrin  
[attachment=10175]
Will let this dry overnight, then maybe a coat or two of Poly Gloss?

Stay tuned, we be about done...
Winkgrin
Box of Fancy Pine, a build thread