Is there only one type of #1 or was more made?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(05-06-2018, 11:33 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Is there only one type of #1 or was more made?

Well-known tool expert Clarence Blanchard has identified 14 different "types" of the No 1 plane
(05-06-2018, 05:56 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Well-known tool expert Clarence Blanchard has identified 14 different "types" of the No 1 plane

Not to mention the Bedrock 601 made by Patrick Leach’s Superior Works.

(05-07-2018, 09:32 AM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: Not to mention the Bedrock 601 made by Patrick Leach’s Superior Works.

I have a early 602 but never heard of a 601 ever.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(05-07-2018, 04:19 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have a early 602 but never heard of a 601 ever.

Stanley never made a 601.  Patrick Leach did.  He took the basic dimensions of the #1 and added the Bedrock features to it.

(05-07-2018, 04:39 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: Stanley never made a 601.  Patrick Leach did.  He took the basic dimensions of the #1 and added the Bedrock features to it.

Ahh Ok thanks.  So he made a Frankenplane out of a #1?

Then there also is the Lie-Neilsen #1: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/benc...?node=4065
I have a Lie-Neilsen #1 and find that I utilize quite often, despite its diminutive size. Very handy little plane. A common complaint that I have heard is "it just too small to use." I have large hands and just adjust my grip to run the plane.

(05-07-2018, 01:26 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Then there also is the Lie-Neilsen #1: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/benc...?node=4065
I have a Lie-Neilsen #1 and find that I utilize quite often, despite its diminutive size. Very handy little plane. A common complaint that I have heard is "it just too small to use." I have large hands and just adjust my grip to run the plane.

I've never held a #1 and always been curious about this.  What advantage does the #1 give you over a block plane?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(05-07-2018, 02:07 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I've never held a #1 and always been curious about this.  What advantage does the #1 give you over a block plane?

Bill

I got mine from a collector at a pretty good price back 7 years ago and I liked it back then because it was easy for me to pull towards me while still being in the wheelchair at the time.  Small easy to pull and nice to hold at the level of the chair.
Lee Valley makes the block plane which can have a handle attached to it and that is the one my wife likes to use in the house on the doors if they tend to stick. 

It really works nice on the flat stock or ends I do also.

The #1 I have is a type 1 which the collector sent all the paper work with and I really do not know the difference or if it makes any difference on how much it is worth.

Bill W: probably not much of an "advantage". The #1 was a gift and at times, I just turn to it most likely more out of habit. With a sharp blade, both usually can do what the other does. But I think the block plane really shines when trimming edge grain.

Before the #1, I had an old block plane with a blade that just would not hold an edge -- probably an aftermarket replacement or cannibalized from some other low quality block plane. Later I purchased a UK-made (??) #60 1/2 Stanley block at a close-out-going-out-of-business sale.  Purchased it because it fits well in my hand, it is well made and with  the ever so useful adjustable mouth.
Info about Stanley #1