Hi all, after reading an article near the end of the latest issue of Fine Woodworking, my curiousity has been piqued to try one of the German-style planes. Previously, I’d never been interested in them, but in all honesty I’ve never given them a fair try. Theyseem like a good compromise between the metal Stanley planes and the English-style wooden planes that you have to tap with a hammer. I’d like some feedback on them if any of you have used them, and also (I know this might be a long shot) I’d like to borrow one to try out for a week or two. Any thoughts on this?

This is totally an individual opinion.  I flip vintage tools a good deal so I've tried a number of planes for at least a few jobs.   For the ECE planes, if getting a wider cut or a steeper bed-angle version, I get the impression the tool needs to be a little heavier (in mass).  The Primus adjuster is a genius creation, but it does slow down the sharpening cycle.

Interestingly, a simple "gateway" for me turned out to be a plane-setting hammer that was homemade.  I modeled it after one of the HNT Gordon wood hammers.  After that point, my ability to use and enjoy the old coffin-planes or non-Primus German "horn" planes really improved.  That hammer has just the right 'bounce' to deliver incremental adjustments.

The last few weeks in the shop my main plane was a 1-3/4" German horned plane of older vintage, having a laminated cast-steel blade and a new flat wood base I added.  For me this is one of the funnest planes.  It keeps a good effort and slicing feel because the blade width is moderate and the sharpness is super.   The other thread about the Scott Wynn book has also influenced  (or biased!)  my thinking and appreciation for this humble old plane.

Enjoy your experiments!

Chris
Chris
Hi Again,

I was just in the bookstore and I read that FWW last-page column you mentioned.  Nice write-up!  I see how the author doesn't mind a lighter-weight plane.  So don't take my critique too seriously.

Probably overly influenced by this Forum, I've gotten into very old, heavy blades, 3/16" thick, tapered, laminated cast steel, fine grain.   I do 'believe' they can sharpen better than the Cr-Vanadium blades that ECE tends to use, but this is not a scientific conclusion on my part.

Rebuilding a German plane is kind of the best-case of the wooden planes.  The body is rectangular enough to put in a vice for trimming the sole with another plane (so fun!).  You don't see broken cheeks as often on German planes compared to coffin-planes.   For the size of the mouth-opening, I really don't obsess on that much any more, if I can set the chipbreaker nicely and get the sole super-flat for a fine cut.

Here's another one in progress... not that I need it, but it's a little different and it was begging for someone to fix it.  I'm using some very hard persimmon plugs.

[attachment=10423]

Chris
Chris
Interested in feedback and/or trying out an EC Emmerich German-style plane