I am painting my rec room and experiencing a problem with the fresh coat causing the undercoat to peel in places.
This is not happening everywhere and it's baffling me as to why.
This is not new wallboard and has been painted with latex paint previously.
I used Behr latex ceiling flat white to cover the old color before I applied the finish coat. This had dried for about 2 weeks before I applied the finish coat yesterday.I am using Behr Marquee latex for the finish coat.
At first I thought that the roller cover and brush were contaminated, as I used Awesome Orange to clean them the day before.
I threw away the roller cover, changed the brush used for cutting in, and changed roller pans, but the problem persists.
It doesn'tf happen everywhere and when the topcoat dries in those areas I can roll on a fresh coat and it sticks just fine.
Anyone have any idea what is going on?

The "shy" may elude you forever.  How to deal with the problem is the question in front of you.

I would use a shellac based primer (or just Sealcoat).  Shellac seems to stick to everything and everything seems to stick to shellac.

[Image: white-zinsser-primers-00904-64_1000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The first coat you gave it with the flat paint was the important one. A primer is better than flat paint. Any glossy existing paint should be sanded or dulled with a liquid type sanding prep ( I have, though, gotten away with just using a good primer on occasion). Re-coating/painting is better done when the first coat dries but not cured- usually within a few hours. I usually just give it an hour for the latex paints. Applying paint too thick can cause problems too. My first coat is thorough but rather thin, followed by a second heavier coat.
Once the paint begins to dry, don't keep rolling over it- the paint will be tacky and can lift.

That "Zinsser- Bin" primer is the best I've used.

This is my method and works for me.

(06-18-2018, 08:30 AM)daddo Wrote: The first coat you gave it with the flat paint was the important one. A primer is better than flat paint. Any glossy existing paint should be sanded or dulled with a liquid type sanding prep ( I have, though, gotten away with just using a good primer on occasion).  Re-coating/painting is better done when the first coat dries but not cured- usually within a few hours. I usually just give it an hour for the latex paints.  Applying paint too thick can cause problems too. My first coat is thorough but rather thin, followed by a second heavier coat.
Once the paint begins to dry, don't keep rolling over it- the paint will be tacky and can lift.

That "Zinsser- Bin" primer is the best I've used.

This is my method and works for me.
I use it for problem painting.  Summer is the best time to use this stuff as it smells pretty bad and you will want to open all the windows.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks for the replies. I always thought that " paint was paint" and if you used water based over water based, all was well.
Live and learn.
Thanks again.
Any chance there could be wallpaper or sizing underneath the areas that are peeling? The water in the latex is reactivating some sort of waterbased substance if it wasnt peeling before. Hard to say without seeing or knowing more. I’d sand the problem areas and skim coat if needed.

To the best of my knowledge there was never wallpaper on the walls. It is definitely the ceiling paint that I used to cover the previous color that is peeling. It's happening only on those areas.
You should post some pics.

(06-18-2018, 04:46 AM)johndi Wrote: I am painting my rec room and experiencing a problem with the fresh coat causing the undercoat to peel in places.
This is not happening everywhere and it's baffling me as to why.
This is not new wallboard and has been painted with latex paint previously.
I used Behr latex ceiling flat white to cover the old color before I applied the finish coat. This had dried for about 2 weeks before I applied the finish coat yesterday.I am using Behr Marquee latex for the finish coat.
At first I thought that the roller cover and brush were contaminated, as I used Awesome Orange to clean them the day before.
I threw away the roller cover, changed the brush used for cutting in, and changed roller pans, but the problem persists.
It doesn'tf happen everywhere and when the topcoat dries in those areas I can roll on a fresh coat  and it  sticks just fine.
Anyone have any idea what is going on?

I had this happen on my bathroom ceiling. I tried putting shellac on the problem areas and it helped some, if I remember right.  But the real solution was to use a different paint.  Again, I'm trying to remember from 30 years ago but I think I used Perma-White.   I've never had to repaint that ceiling since. Another option might be PPG Gripper primer.

John
Peeling paint