Folks,

I recently moved from Chicago to Charlotte, NC and am looking for a source of wood.  I got used to running in to Owl Hardwoods if I needed anything special (I know, somewhat pricey but the selection was awesome).

So far I haven’t found a source for hardwood lumber down here!

Any suggestions?  I’m actually Southeast of Charlotte in the Waxhaw area.

A few local sawmills/sawyers, but most without kilns.

Thanks,

John M

https://research.cnr.ncsu.edu/blogs/wpe/...-dry-kiln/

A few calls should find you the lumber you need.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-22-2018, 11:03 AM)meikj Wrote: Folks,

I recently moved from Chicago to Charlotte, NC and am looking for a source of wood.  I got used to running in to Owl Hardwoods if I needed anything special (I know, somewhat pricey but the selection was awesome).

Any suggestions?  I’m actually Southeast of Charlotte in the Waxhaw area.

A few local sawmills/sawyers, but most without kilns.

Thanks,

John M

Go to a meeting of the Charlotte Woodworkers Assn; join, you'll get all the local knowledge, nice folks too; was a member when I lived there for 6 years.  

https://charlottewoodworkers.org/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If you're willing to drive 2-1/2 hours Ashville is the furniture making capitol of the country. Plenty of suppliers in that area. I'm sure there are some closer to you though.
The Wurth Wood Group has a pretty good selection of hardwoods and sheet goods. They have a location near Charlotte-Douglas Airport. I've bought from them a number of times at both their Charlotte and Greenville SC locations and been pleased. Prices are decent and staff is friendly.

http://www.wurthwoodgroup.com

Hank
(06-22-2018, 11:03 AM)meikj Wrote: Folks,

Hi John - I live in Winston-Salem (about 90 mins from Charlotte) - I buy most of my project hardwoods from Wall Lumber in Mayodan, NC near the VA border, about an hour's drive for me - but I usually have the wood shipped to me, mainly the 20 BF bundles, but also hardwood shorts and some of the craft products, such as baltic birch ply.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I've always heard good things about Wall Lumber.

(06-22-2018, 06:02 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I've always heard good things about Wall Lumber.

I used to take a trip up to Mayodan with my pickup and get a load, and Wall Lumber is a worthy dealer.  Highly recommended but its a bit of a drive from Charlotte.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Welcome to North Carolina!! I recommend joining a statewide woodworking forum ncwoodworker.net. A great, active community of woodworkers with busy online forums and frequent get-togethers. I have been here about 10 years, live about 50 miles north of Charlotte, and really enjoy this forum. I am sure you will get good recommendations for dealers near you.

Ed
Ed
(06-22-2018, 11:03 AM)Hey meikj Wrote: Folks,

I recently moved from Chicago to Charlotte, NC and am looking for a source of wood.  

Nothing to add except that NC is at the top of our list too. Glad to see one of us escaped.
Wood in Charlotte, NC area