Boss wanted to go out this morning...a few yard sales, a bit of Lunch, a trip to Wall E World.....was on the way back home, spotted one more sale....that started the nose itching..

Table had 4 saws....two weren't really all that great....#3 had a $20 price tag with a messed up handle?
No 

However, I did pick up saw #4....and just could not set it back down....it fit my hand perfectly.....Price was..$10...got the saw for $5..
Rolleyes  

Looked just like a D-8....10ppi, 26" skew back.....not a bend, kink nor crack anywhere...then a closer look at that "D-8" handle...
Confused 

Hmmm...got to cleaning off the surface rust, in where the etch should be..
Confused 

Was readable enough, that I went to the Disstonian Institute website.....a D-100 seemed to match up closest to this saw.    About 1917 by the etch, heel of the blade.   Covertop Apple handle....1840 in a box over the keystone etch....French and Spanish lettering for Trade Mark under the keystone....

Something that wasn't in the D-100 data...there is a fancy etch right in front of the handle.   There IS Henry's writing and his signature..between the keystone and the fancy etch..

Will work to bring the etch out a bit more....will keep checking.  
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Nice find.
How do you clean the plate without losing the etching?
220 grit sandpaper....palm sander with a LIGHT touch.     Get most of the crud away.   apply Gun Blue Paste, allow to dry...sand until just the etch remains
[attachment=11477]
Handle was cleaned up, brass shined up.   Handle was given two coats of amber shellac 
[attachment=11478]
Show side came out decently enough...polished to 2500 grit..
Cool 
[attachment=11479]
Non-show side had a bunch of pitting...tried to clean it up...
Rolleyes 
[attachment=11480]
Meh....as long as the saw cuts.   10 ppi, 26" skew back, crosscut.   No bends, no kinks, wood is solid.   Might be a keeper....for $5?
Rolleyes
Confused
Winkgrin 

might need a label made...
Rolleyes  
[attachment=11481]
To tell it from the D-112 I have...
Cool! So, no history behind it?
The D-112 was only made for about a year or so...around 1928.....the D-100 wasn't made after 1922.  Two different yard sales.....every now and then..some will be selling Grandpa's old tools.....that hung on a peg in the barn/shed....until  someone was cleaning things up, and placed them in a yard sale.   Both of these looked they were hardly used...just left to gather rust.  
Sad 

Been using the D-112 as a crosscut saw, to help cut down longer planks.   Saws real nice, too.

(07-09-2018, 02:06 PM)bandit571 Wrote: The D-112 was only made for about a year or so...around 1928.....the D-100 wasn't made after 1922.  Two different yard sales.....every now and then..some will be selling Grandpa's old tools.....that hung on a peg in the barn/shed....until  someone was cleaning things up, and placed them in a yard sale.   Both of these looked they were hardly used...just left to gather rust.  
Sad 

Been using the D-112 as a crosscut saw, to help cut down longer planks.   Saws real nice, too.

Love the idea of the gun bluing... I'm gonna give that a try..

Thanks!!!
Skip

Ok...how about a "Family Photo"?
Winkgrin 
[attachment=11509]
Front to back: 
D-8 Panel saw.  10ppi
D-8 full sized Crosscut.  8ppi ( also have a 10 ppi)
D-112.  10ppi
D-100.  10ppi
[attachment=11510]
All four of these saws have their etch....the D-112 is VERY faint, though...
[attachment=11511
The two D-8s have their "8" inside the "D"....
Cool
The kerfs each saw was sitting it...each cut their own.   And..they cut fast.
Winkgrin 

Now have all four of these back in the til....needed the space on the bench.. 
Rolleyes  to work on a dresser..
Yard sale find