I was trying to find a prior thread on a survey of methods for cutting hardened spring-stock plates.   I couldn't find it tonight.  But I know at least one person talked about scribing the plate (with Exacto knife).   Then, just recently, at www.donsbarn.com, he did a cut by scribing with a graver tool.  That seemed worth trying!

I was considering buying a HSS graver, but then I decided to just grind a flat onto the end of a small triangular file.  This works!

My first graver-line, just next to (to the right of) the blue tape:

My first snapped-to-the-line plate separation (well, I didn't grave the left end of the line deep enough....):

Chris
Chris

That sounds like a good way to get rid of some saws. Could we get a closer look at the business end of the file you ground, please?
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Here is a stock web picture which shows about what I was doing.   I used a triangular file for a 60-degree "V" cross section, but a square file would work as well.   I tried to pick the sharpest vertex of the file, and grind the end of the file just a little off square to get a decent working angle on the sharp face.

[attachment=11933]

This depiction was about the angle of attack I used, and as such there was very little chatter.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris
Snapping Spring-Stock (for scratchers, scrapers, blades)