A few years ago I beta-tested a honing guide prototype from one of the posters here.  His name is Jim (apologies on the last name), I recall.  This guide had real promise and I found it held some tools that other guides did not, such as a fishtail chisel.  Has anyone heard what became of his idea?  Last I heard he was getting machining quotes.  Perhaps that was the end of the line....this was not simple device.

(08-07-2018, 03:52 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: A few years ago I beta-tested a honing guide prototype from one of the posters here.  His name is Jim (apologies on the last name), I recall.  This guide had real promise and I found it held some tools that other guides did not, such as a fishtail chisel.  Has anyone heard what became of his idea?  Last I heard he was getting machining quotes.  Perhaps that was the end of the line....this was not simple device.

Jim Ritter -- user name: Boatman53.

(08-07-2018, 04:55 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Jim Ritter -- user name: Boatman53.

I know that Jim was in the process of moving from the tip of Long Island to Maine, all that takes a bit of work and time.  His website doesn't quite work anymore, but I'm sure he's fine, just getting relocated and settled.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I spoke with Jim about a month ago. He has been busy with selling the house on LI, moving, etc. I'm sure he'll check in when he has a few minutes to spare.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Thanks, guys.  The info is appreciated.
I had the opportunity to test the jig also and I was very impressed. It is a beast of a jig, needed only a couple of tweaks to the design to make it nearly perfect. One of the things that I particularly like about this jig is the ability to grind a primary hollow on a Tormek support arm, then take the jig straight to your stones without adjusting anything. Easy to set up, easy to use, little if any of the fussiness one sees in typical sharpening jigs. I really hope Jim can bring this to market.

(08-08-2018, 05:16 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: I had the opportunity to test the jig also and I was very impressed. It is a beast of a jig, needed only a couple of tweaks to the design to make it nearly perfect. One of the things that I particularly like about this jig is the ability to grind a primary hollow on a Tormek support arm, then take the jig straight to your stones without adjusting anything. Easy to set up, easy to use, little if any of the fussiness one sees in typical sharpening jigs. I really hope Jim can bring this to market.

That *is* a nice feature...  will be following this with interest.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
Just heard from Jim, his move to Maine is done but he still is closing down his shop on Long Island. He's flat out dealing with the move life and family but he seems fine.

I also demo'd his sharpening jig. Easy and intuitive to use and not much it can't handle. I tried to buy the prototype, you can guess how that went. :-)
Anchora Tool Works honing guide?