It is a good thing for both him and PWW. PWW has been under his shadow for too long, even after he was no longer the editor. PWW needs to expand its list of writers. FW is successful because it boasts hundreds of writers under its wings. Be active and contact other writers they see in other magazines.

Chris Schwarz must be praised for supporting Megan when she left PWW. I don't think she enjoyed working with the bean counters and had to do things against her own convictions. I am sure she is much happier now with her teaching, work at the LAP, etc.

I discontinued my PWW subscription when I found it being a magazine penned by the same (small) group of people. If the new editorial team is not changing that, their articles will be void of fresh materials as in the past. You can find better and free materials in Pinterest, Instagram etc.

Simon

I've been liking what I see so far under Andrew Zoellner's leadership.  He's still a touch green at the job - everyone is at first - but I'm hopeful.

One of the things happening under Chris and even more so under Megan that I liked was attention to more obscure pieces.  Every woodworking magazine has, at some point, done the iconic Shaker candlestand, so we really don't need another article on it.  I liked some of the offbeat A&C items they found and featured.
Isn't this like the boy who cried wolf?

Hasn't Chris left PWW at least 2 or 3 times?
Rolleyes 

Alan

(08-22-2018, 04:00 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Isn't this like the boy who cried wolf?

Hasn't Chris left PWW at least 2 or 3 times?
Rolleyes 

Alan

Chris remained one of the PWW principal contributors even though he left. Simply count how many articles in the past two years or three of PWW were penned by him, including how many cover projects that belonged to him, and you will get a sense of his lingering influence there (not in terms of managing the publication, which was Megan's job).

Part of his staying connected was, in my view, to offer a hand to Megan. So he has been a good friend and great help to Megan before and after she quit PWW. That is one good side of him that should deserve our acknowledgment.

Simon

(08-22-2018, 04:46 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Chris remained one of the PWW principal contributors even though he left. Simply count how many articles in the past two years or three of PWW were penned by him, including how many cover projects that belonged to him, and you will get a sense of his lingering influence there (not in terms of managing the publication, which was Megan's job).

Part of his staying connected was, in my view, to offer a hand to Megan. So he has been a good friend and great help to Megan before and after she quit PWW. That is one good side of him that should deserve our acknowledgment.

Simon

In Chris's blog, he said Megan was fired. I can honestly say that I liked how she directed PWW. But with other departures, it was easy to see, she was fighting a losing battle.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com

(08-22-2018, 08:07 PM)Tony Z Wrote: In Chris's blog, he said Megan was fired.  I can honestly say that I liked how she directed PWW.  But with other departures, it was easy to see, she was fighting a losing battle.

There seems to be some turmoil at PWW, but it should be no surprise. I just subscribed to a timber magazine, and wasn't going to subscribe but they offered me such a great deal for 2 years I couldn't pass it up. I don't have confidence that the magazine will be around in 2 years, they offered me 12 issues, 6 per year at $20 for 2 years...how does that work?

Do most of you still receive a subscription to PWW? Recently I threw some old issues out.

Chris is creative, he'll probably have a lot going on...I certainly wish him the best of luck, both him and his wife are great people. Nowadays the magazines seems to be crappin' in their pants...the days are numbered...magazines are the "old frontier".

Alan

(08-22-2018, 08:45 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Nowadays the magazines seems to be crappin' in their pants...the days are numbered...magazines are the "old frontier".

Alan

My take is this: Woodworking magazines (some) will still be around in 10 years no matter what declining numbers we are talking about.

Woodcraft and Woodworker's Journal have "unlimited" support from their parent companies and will be around for a long long time.

FW is so established that it will die with the death of woodworking interests.

WOOD has the largest circulation (500,000+?) and will be the last one to die from a subscription problem.

What about others? We can only tell when we revisit this thread in 10 years.
Winkgrin 

Simon
(08-22-2018, 08:45 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: There seems to be some turmoil at PWW, but it should be no surprise. I just subscribed to a timber magazine, and wasn't going to subscribe but they offered me such a great deal for 2 years I couldn't pass it up. I don't have confidence that the magazine will be around in 2 years, they offered me 12 issues, 6 per year at $20 for 2 years...how does that work?

Do most of you still receive a subscription to PWW? Recently I threw some old issues out.

Chris is creative, he'll probably have a lot going on...I certainly wish him the best of luck, both him and his wife are great people. Nowadays the magazines seems to be crappin' in their pants...the days are numbered...magazines are the "old frontier".

Alan

I just subscribed to PWW for $18.00 for two years. I couldn't believe it.
(08-22-2018, 08:07 PM)Tony Z Wrote: In Chris's blog, he said Megan was fired.  I can honestly say that I liked how she directed PWW.  But with other departures, it was easy to see, she was fighting a losing battle.

One can easily tell Megan left in a hurry (the next issue after her departure was done under an Acting (or Temporary? Forgot the term they used) Editor, before a new editor was found). That would happen only when something occurred not according to some plan.

Was she fired? Technically so (according to Chris's public statement). But if a person gets fired because she refuses to follow some bs directive or path AND she knows her refusal will result in her dismissal if she does not do as she is told, she is in essence firing her employer. The termination is triggered by the conscious action of her, the employee, not the employer. I believe Megan did that, resulting in her termination, and that is why I said she quit.

Fired or not, it is not the end of the world, esp. for someone like Megan with her connections and editorial background. We can bet if she were offered the job back now, she would say no with a BIG smile.

Simon
I'm very happy for CS for being able to lean more on his own business to provide a living and fulfill his ambitions.  I can't relate to much of what he does in his endeavors, but I feel that is probably due to my shortcomings.  He obviously has a strong following.  I can't think of another person who is as diverse in the field of woodworking as he is.
Chris Schwarz is leaving PWW