I folks, haven't posted for a while since I haven't done much.  My dad's health isn't too good and they have slowly been getting rid of 60+ years of junk.  I helped my mom with some cleanup in the garage, going through my dad's tools, etc.  donated some, threw out some, brought home a few.  He wasn't a woodworker, a rough carpenter might be a better term,  but did build things like decks, a giant shed, put a dormer on our house back in NY. Most tools he had were typical home-owner stuff from Sears, the big-box stores, etc., and nothing of value. Many of the few hand tools he had from his dad were stolen back in the late seventies.

Anyway, I don't think these saws are worth saving but thought I'd ask the opinion of the saw folks before I get rid of them. 

I can't read anything on the plate, some say 'Warranted Superior' on the handle, one says Diston (the light handled one).

If nothing else a few pictures for you to browse on a Saturday...

Carl

[attachment=12520]
[attachment=12521]
[attachment=12522]
[attachment=12523]
[attachment=12524]
[attachment=12525]
[attachment=12526]

And just for fun some clamps - that's a 12" ruler on the right for scale
[attachment=12527]
Carl

Priceless.

They're from your Dad.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(08-25-2018, 06:29 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: Priceless.  

They're from your Dad.

Indeed, I agree. Those two bottom saws are nice, the bottom one being the nicest for my taste. All of them are good quality saws that can be cleaned up and sharpened and put back into service again. Even the newer saw with no finish on the handle will clean up really nice. That's a great hacksaw!
Smile

I have only a couple dozen hand tools from my Dad. Only a few woodworking tools, more mechanical type tools. And it looks like he used them, at least if the bottom saw and the hacksaw are any indication, the smegma is worn off the inside and outside of the handle...those should clean up really nice.

When I my Dad's tools I can't help but think about him...that is WHY I keep them!
Yes 

Alan

(08-25-2018, 06:44 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Indeed, I agree. Those two bottom saws are nice, the bottom one being the nicest for my taste. All of them are good quality saws that can be cleaned up and sharpened and put back into service again. Even the newer saw with no finish on the handle will clean up really nice. That's a great hacksaw!
Smile

Alan

Thanks - any tips or links on the best way to clean them up?
Carl

(08-25-2018, 09:06 PM)wrx4sabelle Wrote: Thanks - any tips or links on the best way to clean them up?
Carl,

I would use this XLNT reference by one of the WN masters, of course!
Wink

http://norsewoodsmith.com/?q=content/res...ld-handsaw

NOTE: be careful with a razor, easy to scratch the metal. kerosene and scotch brite pad, or fine steel wood. I like the scotch brites better. I get them from McMaster-Carr.

There's a lot of good stuff there, and that will get you going and I like Leif's approach where he tries to keep the patina and preserve the original aesthetics.

Take your time and clean those up nicely. Clean up the nuts and bolts and let it strut it's vintage pride!

EDIT: I'm a big advocate of wiping my tools down with T-9, a rust preventative that was created by Boeing. I am also a big fan of using Kerosene/Diesel for cleaning rather than Acetone, mainly because Acetone bothers my skin and makes me itch, so I need to use gloves, and Kerosene/Diesel can be used to wash your hands. It also has lubricants in it that are good for metal. It is dangerous and you need to be attentive while using it, so it's not for everyone. Boeshield also makes "Rust Free" which is a rust remover. Not only does it work well to remove rust, it smells good also, to me. I detest WD-40 but use it as a cutting fluid for aluminum. I never use it on my tools.

Alan

(08-26-2018, 04:27 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Carl,

I would use this XLNT reference by one of the WN masters, of course!
Wink

http://norsewoodsmith.com/?q=content/res...ld-handsaw

NOTE: be careful with a razor, easy to scratch the metal. kerosene and scotch brite pad, or fine steel wood. I like the scotch brites better. I get them from McMaster-Carr.

There's a lot of good stuff there, and that will get you going and I like Leif's approach where he tries to keep the patina and preserve the original aesthetics.

Take your time and clean those up nicely. Clean up the nuts and bolts and let it strut it's vintage pride!

EDIT: I'm a big advocate of wiping my tools down with T-9, a rust preventative that was created by Boeing. I am also a big fan of using Kerosene/Diesel for cleaning rather than Acetone, mainly because Acetone bothers my skin and makes me itch, so I need to use gloves, and Kerosene/Diesel can be used to wash your hands. It also has lubricants in it that are good for metal. It is dangerous and you need to be attentive while using it, so it's not for everyone. Boeshield also makes "Rust Free" which is a rust remover. Not only does it work well to remove rust, it smells good also, to me. I detest WD-40 but use it as a cutting fluid for aluminum. I never use it on my tools.

Alan
IMO, WD40 is one of the most "misused" products on the market today..It is not a good lubricant at all and I would never trust it to prevent rust.....It is intended for use in "displacing water" and for that purpose it is excellent..I have used it to start flooded engines on power company trucks due to high water in hurricanes, and it works..just spray it on the distributor, wires, etc...We stocked it on all our service trucks.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Those "hacksaws" were used by the local Butcher, as a meat saw....before they started using the bandsaws they have nowadays.....

The two toned handle looks like it is a replacement handle.....like a D-7 handled panel saw's onto a D-8's saw plate....

The others look like they are D-23s.....which were a very good saw.

Tip:    Simple Green, a 3M scratchy pad (stripping pad) strapped to a 1/4 sheet palm sander.....cleans most of the rust off.....messy, but works.    Take the handles off, first.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
All three saws on the first picture seem to be at least decent. Clean them up and sharpen them and statistically at least two of them will outperform all new saws that can be found in ordinary hardware stores.

The two saws in the second picture are a butcher's saw and a worn out handsaw.
A butcher's saw is nice to have if you are into hunting or into breeding your own animals for food. Byuing and maintaining a meat bandsaw for cutting up the occasional moose or for cutting up 3 sheep a year isn't quite viable.
From the worn out handsaw you should at least salvage the screws that hold the handle to the blade.

The cramps on the third picture look like they will outlast a few more generations. Clean them up and put them to use. They are already paid for.

I am starting to worry for how much perfectly usable stuff you might have thrown away...........
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Congrats on bringing home a few.
I have managed to put together a nice shop over the last thirty years, but if it all went away, there are only a few tools I couldn't replace.  Tools that were gifts from members here would make the list, but there are two... just two, that are priceless.  A hammer and a plane that belonged to my stepfather.

The hammer hangs over the shop desk.  The block plane, older than I am, is my go to plane.  My Stepfather passed in 81.  But when I use that plane, I swear I feel him looking over my shoulder still...
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Thanks for all the replies, I look forward to trying to clean some of the saws up, though will be a while as my wife and I are in the process of getting rid of all the junk from our own house and garage that we've collected.  Amazing how it collects to the point we wonder how it got so bad.  I also have Christmas gifts to get started on as soon as I find some shop space.  After I've cleaned them up I will probably only keep the best 2 or 3 as I have limited space (no use for a carcass saw, either).

To the comment about my throwing out tools, don't worry, as mentioned my dad had mostly basic tools from the hardware store, lots of screwdrivers, cheap wrenches, and the like.  I saved a complete set of tools to leave in my folks garage in case they need something, or for me to use when I help out.  Anything extra that was in good shape were donated.  The stuff that got thrown out was truly junk, broken, etc.  My dad didn't exactly abuse tools, but he didn't take good care of them, either.  I found a few tools that no one even remembered where they came from (I think my dad bought them and forgot).

Here is another tool I kept - my mom is pretty sure it was her fathers.  Not a hand tool so I hadn't posted it.

[attachment=12538]
[attachment=12539]
[attachment=12540]
Carl

A few tools from dad