so I cut some of it into little pieces.

Then, just for fun, I glued them back together and rubbed on them with a bowl gouge. This was the result.

Attached Files Image(s)

We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

very
Cool
Cool 

I really love that grain pattern.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Wow,beautiful job,congrats.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Nice work, about how big is it?
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop

It's 12" tall by 10" dia and holds a 2" dia by 7" glass insert for fresh flowers.
(10-07-2018, 10:05 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: so I cut some of it into little pieces.

Then, just for fun, I glued them back together and rubbed on them with a bowl gouge.  This was the result.

That is great looking and well worth the time and effort of "scrap wood" can be.

looks like Elm or maybe Red Oak but it is just nice.
Looks like you need to be looking for more pallet wood.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(10-08-2018, 03:25 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Looks like you need to be looking for more pallet wood.
Yes

Consider this: about 4 hours of work got that pallet hauled home and cut down to the good sticks, eliminating the cracks, corroded nail holes, splits, and staples that broke off instead of pulling out. I netted about 10 board feet of damp red oak that I could buy from my local source for about $25, kiln dried. I earned $6.25/hr but still worried that I missed an expensive nail. In this case it was worth it to me because the pallet was from a local charitable organization I'm involved with and the vase will be donated back to them.

Most of that pallet will be best used to roast marshmallows with my grandkids and that will be worth it too.

Salvaging pallets is a lot of work, though. I'd rather be making shavings...…… or even sanding.

(10-08-2018, 03:52 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: Consider this: about 4 hours of work got that pallet hauled home and cut down to the good sticks, eliminating the cracks, corroded nail holes, splits, and staples that broke off instead of pulling out.  I netted about 10 board feet of damp red oak that I could buy from my local source for about $25, kiln dried.  I earned $6.25/hr but still worried that I missed an expensive nail.  In this case it was worth it to me because the pallet was from a local charitable organization I'm involved with and the vase will be donated back to them.

Most of that pallet will be best used to roast marshmallows with my grandkids and that will be worth it too.

Salvaging pallets is a lot of work, though.  I'd rather be making shavings...…… or even sanding.

I bring pallets home from work to burn in my shop stove. Occasionally I'll find one made from hardwood that is salvageable for projects, but most of it is twisted and split. I've made a couple small projects, but nothing quite like that vase - which is beautiful!

Well done!
Yes

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Very nice!

(extra characters to comply with 17 character minimum)

Cool  Nice looking oak vase you got there
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

A scrap pallet annoyed me