I picked up a 6 pt rip saw today, split nut, so pre 1875 or so manufacture.  Etch says "William Spear" "Cast Steel" "No. 4".  Etch also has a sailing ship motif with a spear running through it, hard to see but its there.  I'm finding nothing on the web.  Saw is in remarkable condition for its age and the handle is in perfect condition, warranted superior medallion.  Could be English, could be American; but not Spear & Jackson, as that Spear had a different first name.  Anybody heard of this maker?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRcUFvbcWCw
Ah, man!!! YouTube charges to watch Beuller, Beuller? ... ! I think it originally was the same theater charge, $3.

Maybe, you have a modern copy old enough to look 19th C. new? Or, Spear got tired of scratching his initials into handles.

(10-16-2018, 07:14 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Maybe, you have a modern copy old enough to look 19th C. new? Or, Spear got tired of scratching his initials into handles.

Naw, its clearly vintage, just well kept in a toolbox in its custom till in the lid, where I found it with other period tools.  Now I'm thinking contract made for a hardware company, I'll keep looking.
"William Spear" Handsaw???