Ok..hope this doesn't take quite as long as the last one did.....

The Boss saw an ad in a catalog...for a Microwave oven Cabinet....
[attachment=13733]
That she wants to replace a 26 year old Catch-all...
[attachment=13734]
This started out as a typical 4 drawer chest of drawers I was selling at the time....needed a changing table sort of thing...instead of drawers, it became a four shelf dresser, with doors...then it became a Pantry....then just a catch-all....own them doors at your own risk
Uhoh    Too wide, too tall, too deep for a narrow walkway from the Kitchen....needed cleaned out, anyway.   It can be converted to a 4 drawer dresser....IF I build the drawers...
Picture in the catalog?
Think Flat Pack.....I thought I could build something like it..out of Oak....and NOT even have to paint it....Picked a few boards, to go with what I had on hand
Winkgrin ..
[attachment=13735]
About 20bf of White Oak....then decided to draw up a plane...
Rolleyes  
[attachment=13736]
A view of the front? And..
[attachment=13737]
A view from the side.   Instead of the cubby holes...there will be either two small drawers or one wide drawer..depending on the lumber supply.  Will try to build the base cabinet first...then build the upper "Topper" to fit.    Have a Microwave oven to fit around. 

And...NO WHITE PAINT will be used!   Stay tuned...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

OK, more on the oak supply?    Some I already had, thanks to a yard sale....Topper gets it's top....front gets a pair of doors, with thin flat panels ( maybe) 
[attachment=13738]
1 x 12 for the topper's top shelf?    There are 3 boards at 1 x 6 x 3'   and a pair at 3/8" x 6 x 3'.....Doors and face frame? 
[attachment=13739]
Some of the 1 x 6 I brought home today..fancy grain? 
Cool 
[attachment=13740]
Just showing off?
Rolleyes  
[attachment=13741]
Need to make two panels for the ends of the base cabinet.....5-1/2" wide boards don't quite add up to 14-1/2" wide panels....will need to rip one board down the middle..
[attachment=13742]
Some I will need to trim the "bad spots" out of...

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Decided to haul a few planks to the shop..and get a head start on a glue up....that WAS the plan...
Rolleyes  
[attachment=13743]
These are the three parts for one side.    wane will get rebated out, for the plywood back.   had to rip one board @ 2-1/5" width.....Will need the No. 7c Jointer plane to get rid of all the Gaposis....Steel yard stick acts as a straight edge.   called a Tinner's Rule.  
Cool 
[attachment=13744]
Panel #2.. a work in progress?
Rolleyes  Yes, the shop now has a tablesaw shaped object in the shop....lot better rip cuts than the bandsaw does...What doesn't get used for the side panels ( # 36" long)  will still be enough ( @ 25-1/2" long) to make the glue up for a top, for the base cabinet.  Getting a supply right now..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13745]
Pine for the stuff inside the case..like shelves, and webframes for the drawer(s)...
Still have two 1 x 6 x 6' oak boards I haven't even touched yet....

Maybe a few hours in the shop, tomorrow....I could get at least one side into the clamps?  
Confused
Rolleyes 
Stay tuned

(10-17-2018, 09:14 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Decided to haul a few planks to the shop..and get a head start on a glue up....that WAS the plan...
Rolleyes  

These are the three parts for one side.    wane will get rebated out, for the plywood back.   had to rip one board @ 2-1/5" width.....Will need the No. 7c Jointer plane to get rid of all the Gaposis....Steel yard stick acts as a straight edge.   called a Tinner's Rule.  
Cool 

Panel #2.. a work in progress?
Rolleyes  Yes, the shop now has a tablesaw shaped object in the shop....lot better rip cuts than the bandsaw does...What doesn't get used for the side panels ( # 36" long)  will still be enough ( @ 25-1/2" long) to make the glue up for a top, for the base cabinet.  Getting a supply right now..
Rolleyes 

Pine for the stuff inside the case..like shelves, and webframes for the drawer(s)...
Still have two 1 x 6 x 6' oak boards I haven't even touched yet....

Maybe a few hours in the shop, tomorrow....I could get at least one side into the clamps?  
Confused
Rolleyes 
Stay tuned
I am looking forward to another build-along.

Thanks Bandit!
Breathing Stress Tests at the Hospital today...then a nap.....finally meandered down to the shop....planes got a workout, along with me..
Winkgrin 
[attachment=13756]
That Stanley #5 is the only one with a cambered edge to it's iron...rest have none....
[attachment=13757]
Doesn't seem to hinder making these...  Got the edges jointed on the three parts for the side panel.    Checked for gaps....then a bead or two of glue....moosh each part around a bit, until the glue "sticks" things in place, add the other board and a few clamps, and a couple cauls..
Cool  
[attachment=13758]
I also cut parts for the other side panel..
[attachment=13759]
Might take some flipping around, to get this grain to almost line up....
[attachment=13760]
Was one of those days.
Rolleyes  

letting the glue up sit overnight....will joint the parts for the other side panel, and try for another glue up.   Then I can see about the shelves  and such for the inside of the case...and maybe get a panel glued up for the top of the case....that should get me to about...Tuesday?   Then a face frame, and maybe a pair ( maybe, maybe just a single) drawers.   Then the doors.....Hope to get this done before Thanksgiving?  
Rolleyes

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Other panel has been jointed, glued and clamped..
Cool  
[attachment=13799]
Big clamp in the middle is for a caul..
[attachment=13800]
Middle board had a curve right about there
Upset 
Got three boards cut for a top for the case...
[attachment=13801]
Came out about 16" wide....will lose a little bit, when I joint the edges , later today.
Need to find a use for one of the cut-offs..  
Confused 
[attachment=13802]
Not sure IF I could trust this to be a drawer front....
[attachment=13803]
As this is the other side of that board.

Late last night, I went back to the shop, removed all the clamps from panel #2,  then clamped it to Panel #1...both had a sight bow to them, clamped the two bows together, to latten both out.  Let that sit over night.    Later today, I'll haul that stack to the bench, and trim things to size,   and square the ends.   Might even cut the foot profiles.
Rolleyes

Stay tuned
Winkgrin    Oh, and get that top glued up?
Rolleyes
Was a LONG day in the shop, yesterday....even did three trips to the shop
Cool   Might take a few posts to even gloss over the stuff done.   started out going to a "Barn Sale"....."tools, lumber.." sort of thing.   Needed a few sticks of Pine, to make shelves and frames...1 x 10 x 8', and a couple 1 x 3 x 8'..$15.    Got those home to the shop.   Started in on getting the side panels to match each other,,
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13822]
One edge was a bit"off"  saw took care of that, and got one end squared off
[attachment=13823]
The other end needed a guide used...
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13824]
I did use the jointer planes on the other long edge, as it was a tad closer to a match..
Cool 
[attachment=13825]
Then a sabresaw to cut the feet profiles..
[attachment=13826]
I also planed and sanded the face grain.   Clamp these two sides back together....inside to inside, and set aside.

Part one of yesterday's  shoptime...stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Next...set up the saw....yes, the shop now has a tablesaw
Rolleyes   Needed to rip a few face frame parts, mainly the skinnier ones
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13827]
Also made some cleats to attach shelves to...and cross cut and rip that 1 x 10 into a couple shelves..
[attachment=13828]
Then cut the 1 x 3 down into webframe parts..
[attachment=13829]
Which left the blank for the top of the case..
[attachment=13830]
Only needed to joint one edge...these three are sitting there, with only  a bead of glue to hold the panel together....until I could add the clamps and cauls..
[attachment=13833]
Which ended work in the shop...for a while...more to come...two more trips to the shop...was that kind of a day

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Ok...ball game wasn't going to well...decided the shop looked better..
Winkgrin 
So...wandered back to the shop....removed the panel from the clamps, and set it aside.   Dug out parts for the web frames.  checked the rails for length....was to be 1/2" tenons....rails were too short
Upset  ripped a new set of rails...and then milled the tenons (8) on the ends.   Then set up to chop a mortise..
[attachment=13835]
May have to do a Show & Tell about these joints..someday?   Test fitted as I went....until one frame was ready for glue and clamps..
[attachment=13836]
Let this sit in the clamps a few hours....hmm, dryer needed checked?   Needed restarted?   What to do while I wait...well there was a couple drills handy
Rolleyes
[attachment=13837]
Needed to reclamp one side..
Upset
[attachment=13838]
To pull things tight, before the Norm pins were added..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=13839]
Then worked on the kicker. Stay tuned
Cool
Ok...kickers.    They are there to keep a drawer from tipping down, when you pull the drawer out a bit too far.   They are not there to "guide" anything....Screws and glue to hold it in place,,,screw heads need to be countersunk, to miss the back of the drawer..
Cool 
[attachment=13840]
Merely needs to be roughly centered, is all.   Got the top frame done..dryer wasn't, yet
Rolleyes ...set up to start on frame #2 
[attachment=13841]
And chopped and fitted two of these..
Cool 
[attachment=13842]
Until the tenons fit 
[attachment=13843]
Dryer was done....decided to haul the laundry upstairs, and close the shop..finally.

Need to finish the second frame..and try for some assembly later?    Need to mill a rebate along the back edge of the side panels, to house the 1/4" plywood back...that I still have to go out and buy
Upset ....Maybe after Lunch, eh? 

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
A project for the Kitchen