Do mine eyes deceive me, or is that a Veritas PMV-11 paring chisel I see in the ad for the waterstones on page 5 of the Lee Valley Winter 2019 catalog?
Jason

(02-09-2019, 03:11 PM)Jason28 Wrote: Do mine eyes deceive me, or is that a Veritas PMV-11 paring chisel I see in the ad for the waterstones on page 5 of the Lee Valley Winter 2019 catalog?

Doesn't look like any critter I've ever seen. Offset handle, too. Would have its uses but I'd prefer a handle inline with the blade for paring.
Very suspicious lookin as a new bait item.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-09-2019, 03:11 PM)Jason28 Wrote: Do mine eyes deceive me, or is that a Veritas PMV-11 paring chisel I see in the ad for the waterstones on page 5 of the Lee Valley Winter 2019 catalog?

Good catch, but I must confess that is one butt-ugly chisel.
Rob recently commented on Sawmill Creek, where this was noticed, that the photo was unintentional. But, where there is smoke, there must be fire ....

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
The configuration looks rather odd, and would be more difficult to make from a manufacturing perspective compared to their current socket/tang configuration. Could be they wanted to keep the price down, given PM-V11 is more expensive, so rather than make it long like a traditional paring chisel, the half-cylinder part attaching to the chisel provides the length of a more traditional paring chisel without requiring more PM-V11 steel. Lee Valley sometimes reminds me of the British military aircraft industry. Unconventional appearance, but gets the job done.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
There is more to it than meets the eye, Allan. There is an interesting concept in play. I cannot say more now. Wait for Rob to discuss.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I'd almost be tempted to grab that for a masonry trowel.  Long excavations using a standard straight inline tool always struck me as being more double-edged, prompting a large first-aid kit.

(02-10-2019, 12:57 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I'd almost be tempted to grab that for a masonry trowel.  Long excavations using a standard straight inline tool always struck me as being more double-edged, prompting a large first-aid kit.

It looks to me like a new style crank neck paring chisel may be being developed. I do not know much about PMV-11 but it may be an easier way to do it that the traditional way. or a way to make them a little more cost effective.

Tom
It looks like they still don't have any forging capacity.
Veritas Paring Chisels Coming Soon?