Hi Folks,

Recently I've started my own YouTube channel (just for fun). It will focus on things that I'm working on in my shop -- mostly woodworking stuff, tool restorations, and some hobby machining projects as well. Since I'm just starting out, I'm trying to grow my channel and I'd love it if you would take a look and subscribe if you like what you see. 

The latest video I've uploaded is on Arkansas stones and oilstones. If you'd like to take a look, you can find it here: https://youtu.be/hP0kVmeKo3k

Thanks!
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine

(03-01-2019, 11:47 AM)Vince Wrote: Hi Folks,

Recently I've started my own YouTube channel (just for fun). It will focus on things that I'm working on in my shop -- mostly woodworking stuff, tool restorations, and some hobby machining projects as well. Since I'm just starting out, I'm trying to grow my channel and I'd love it if you would take a look and subscribe if you like what you see. 

The latest video I've uploaded is on Arkansas stones and oilstones. If you'd like to take a look, you can find it here: https://youtu.be/hP0kVmeKo3k

Thanks!
Excellent video, Vince and very informative, thanks......I think more woodworkers should give oil stones a try..especially the Norton silicon carbide...it seems to be pretty much ignored by most woodworkers, but SC is right up there close to Diamond in hardness and is a fast cutter.

Like you, I have a cabinet full of oilstones and most of them purchased at flea markets and yard sales...I had a collection of Belgian coticules but in a moment of madness, I sold them...The price went up so much that they were just too expensive to keep....
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-01-2019, 01:56 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Excellent video, Vince and very informative, thanks......I think more woodworkers should give oil stones a try..especially the Norton silicon carbide...it seems to be pretty much ignored by most woodworkers, but SC is right up there close to Diamond in hardness and is a fast cutter.

Like you, I have a cabinet full of oilstones and most of them purchased at flea markets and yard sales...I had a collection of Belgian coticules but in a moment of madness, I sold them...The price went up so much that they were just too expensive to keep....
Crazy

Thanks Timberwolf -- I consider that high praise coming from you!

I had one of those Belgian coticules once myself, but ended up passing it along. The straight razor crowd seems to think they are made of gold.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator

(03-01-2019, 04:35 PM)Vince Wrote: Thanks Timberwolf -- I consider that high praise coming from you!

I had one of those Belgian coticules once myself, but ended up passing it along. The straight razor crowd seems to think they are made of gold.

The straight razor guys are a great market for Belgians or Eschers, for sure!!!!!!!.I once bought a new Norton Belgian Coticule in the box, made in the late 1800's or early 1900's, from a fellow tool collector for ten bucks...I didn't have the heart to tell him what it was...The box was the old style of fancy print and in excellent condition...I finally sold it to a straight razor guy and that made my day...

Keep those Youtubes coming.You did an excellent job putting it together.. you have a great speaking voice, very easy to understand every word.......I really enjoyed it and will be watching it again....
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks!

I do not have enough internet allowance to view it but I will support you.  Would you take suggestions on things to do to make things easy for people like me??
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(03-01-2019, 02:33 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I do not have enough internet allowance to view it but I will support you.  Would you take suggestions on things to do to make things easy for people like me??

You bet Arlin, but I'm not all that technically savvy, so keep it simple please
Smile
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Nice job on the video.
Liked and subscribed.

Thanks!

Watched and it is quite good. I can't remember another video soley about oilstones (I've accummulated them for several decades!).

To others reading this thread, when searching out stones at flea markets, etc., look for stones in fancy, carved boxes. These are stones the craftsman was proud of, and generally are the better, if not the best stones. For vintage tool steel, the Washita was the only stone of choice, along with a strop. For me, the best test of fineness, is to run your fingernail to feel the stone.

Great job, Vince!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Nicely done video, Vince.  It is very informative and what's presented follows pretty much everything I've learned about oil stones over the years.  

I've been a fan of them for a very long time, my favorite combination for every day use is an India with a Lily White Washita. When its time to re-do the edge, its a Tormek followed by Crystolon (if needed), and proceed up to the translucent arkansas stones.  (Edit - I always strop on leather also).

I think I've tried all the other methods for sharpening and keep coming back to oil stones because - I don't know, it just feels like the "right" way, at least to me.
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
Good video. I found a large translucent stone at the local flea market a few years back. Got the Norton Med India to go with it and thats what I have been using for the past few years for sharpening all tools. I also picked up a large oil stone, but never did figure out what it is. Pinkish color as best I can tell, probably should pull it out and re-investigate it some more. The India stone does needs dressed and I found that I can get by just fine with a cheap Smith course diamond stone.
Arkansas stones and a shameless plug