Question 
Monday, I'll be hanging a  new door in an old jam, so I went looking for my fleamarket find butt gauge.  The deep pin is dull . Are they sharpened with the outside flat and the bevel on the inside? THX
A man of foolish pursuits

(03-09-2019, 12:58 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: Monday, I'll be hanging a  new door in an old jam, so I went looking for my fleamarket find butt gauge.  The deep pin is dull . Are they sharpened with the outside flat and the bevel on the inside? THX

Sorry buddy I do not know I just came to look and see what one looked like.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-09-2019, 12:58 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: Monday, I'll be hanging a  new door in an old jam, so I went looking for my fleamarket find butt gauge.  The deep pin is dull . Are they sharpened with the outside flat and the bevel on the inside? THX

Yes

Frank S in IA
As a general principle, marking gauge pins should be sharpened in a manner that draws the tool to the wood. The only exception I can imagine to that would be a situation in which the waste wood was going to be on the far side from the gauge. And, of course, two-pin mortise gauges are different animals; on those, I believe (though not certain) the bevels should face each other, because the waste is between the two pins.

Glad to hear you're using it.  For what they're designed to do, they're amazingly efficient tools.  I set some hinges last year on a project, and I think that tool saved me a good half hour over using multiple marking techniques.

You may already have the instruction sheet, but if not: here it is
Thanks, that's what I figured . Of course mine was sharpened on the outside.

Almost 50 years ago in carpentry apprenticeship school the instructor showed us how to use one . It was "Hey,that's handy. Where do I find one? " I was an industrial carpenter, metal doors on metal buildings, so I never needed one.
I suppose I had better go and dig mine out of the drawer?  
Rolleyes 

OK, found it...
Winkgrin But.....it is an E. C. Stearns & Co.  No. 85.....
Confused  any relation?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Stearns was a different company, but the pictures I found online of the No. 85 gauge look pretty darned close, maybe even identical - cloning once the patent expired, I imagine.  Have a look at your Stearns gauge against the Stanley instruction sheet and see if there are differences.
I've got a stanley, in the plastic pouch. Never been sharpened I don't believe
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

At the fleamarket today for $5, I found a Stanley #702 vise . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98YeocNaGRY The one I found was in nicer shape and made in England. They are pretty handy . You can clamp them to a sawhorse and hold a door on edge, saves making a door clamp. Into the toolbox I threw a set of Stanley #60 butt chisels and Stanley#41 Yankee push drill. (My bench chisels are Wm.Marple&Sons "Shamrocks") . Maybe by using those tools , my knees will feel like they did when I first hung a door. chuckle.

On a search I found a 1958 Stanley catalogue . In the picture the long pin does point inward.

(03-10-2019, 11:53 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: At the fleamarket today for $5, I found a Stanley #702 vise .  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98YeocNaGRY   The one I found was in nicer shape and made in England. They are pretty handy . You can clamp them to a sawhorse and hold a door on edge, saves making a door clamp. Into the toolbox I threw a set of Stanley #60 butt chisels and Stanley#41 Yankee push drill. (My bench chisels are Wm.Marple&Sons  "Shamrocks") . Maybe by using those tools , my knees will feel like they did when I first hung a door. chuckle.

On a search I found a 1958 Stanley catalogue . In the picture the long pin does point inward.
I have a saw horse vise that is a "quick release" type....Made by a company called "Champion" IIRC...only one I have ever seen...made of cast iron and steel.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Stanley #95 Butt Gauge