Thumbs Up 
Recently made available on Youtube..."Two years alone in the wilderness"...Man leaves the city life with his dog, and builds a cabin by himself with nothing but hand tools...1 1/2 hrs long but worth the time IMO...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxM9FYSs8V4
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks, now I have some viewing to do.
A man of foolish pursuits

(04-08-2019, 11:31 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: Thanks, now I have some viewing to do.

It beats watching most of what's on cable these days...hard to imagine people today with that much energy and determination.
Crazy

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Watched the first 10 minutes and it is quite good.  Looking forward to seeing the rest.  That guy makes building a cabin look so easy. All of my builds include a lot of standing around thinking about what is next.

(04-09-2019, 07:43 AM)stav Wrote: Watched the first 10 minutes and it is quite good.  Looking forward to seeing the rest.  That guy makes building a cabin look so easy. All of my builds include a lot of standing around thinking about what is next.

He's so good at joinery, you probably couldn't slide a piece of paper between the notches he cut by hand fitting the logs together!!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Agreed.  That cabin, while small, looks like it is skillfully made and near perfect.  I don't think this is his first project for sure.
Very interesting and resourceful guy.
Wood is good. 
I enjoyed watching the long version--two year--and 14 minute family piece. He can't be too far from a road. He has a lot of imported stuff. Thanks for the introduction!
That is very, very different from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG3fUIoXQ5A

Dick Proenneke's "Alone in the Wilderness" was real, with evidence that he filmed his own work, and shots of his building everything. The featured video looks like a YouTube extravaganza and con. He rarely builds anything. You only see the start and end of a project - pieces placed in position - and the filming is clearly using a cameraman (since there are zooms and closeups). Much of the woodwork (e.g. floors) is thicknessed and jointed by machines. It is all too perfect. His handling of tools is simply too clumsy to achieve the quality of finish. Where did the cast iron stove come from, the fibreglass sled, etc, etc ... ? One give away is the store-made lock on the front door (why do you need a lock?) ... and then he adds a wooden handle (this you see him doing!) that is so clumsily made compared with everything else.

I'd like to see some evidence that this is not a grand hoax.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Ha, its probably a hoax like you say Derek, but it isn’t real grand. Its rather the american way nowadays. Grand illusions and make believe or better known as reality tv. Anyone who was truly into a off the grid or real wilderness existence would have no interest whatsoever in putting it all out there for public consumption.
Building a cabin in the wilderness