We are having our kitchen redone. Our contractor recommends birch cabinets made by RD Henry Company of Wichita Kansas. Presently, we have oak cabinets. I'm wondering what contractors and installers here think about birch as a material for cabinets. Thanks.

(04-12-2019, 12:16 PM)JSpill Wrote: We are having our kitchen redone. Our contractor recommends birch cabinets made by RD Henry Company of Wichita Kansas. Presently, we have oak cabinets. I'm wondering what contractors and installers here think about birch as a material for cabinets. Thanks.

I would prefer Birch over Oak that is for sure. Birch and Maple are almost indistinguishable in my opinion especially if they are stained.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
I like birch/maple.  Don't know about the company.  I like the look of light colored woods.   If you ever want/have to paint the cabinets birch is easy to paint.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Do you like the look?  Does SHE like the look?

It is not a 'bad wood' if that is what you are asking...
I'm neutral on the choice, but I made ours myself the outside is cherry, and the insides (boxes) are birch/maple-natural. We have glass in a bunch, and I think they are brighter than if they were cherry.
(04-12-2019, 12:16 PM)JSpill Wrote: We are having our kitchen redone. Our contractor recommends birch cabinets made by RD Henry Company of Wichita Kansas. Presently, we have oak cabinets. I'm wondering what contractors and installers here think about birch as a material for cabinets. Thanks.

That is interesting.  I went tot he RD Henry site (https://www.rdhenry.com/products/wood-species/), to the Kitchen Cabinet / wood species page, and birch is not listed.  Your contractor could be talking about Baltic birch cabinets with a different face species.  They show painted faces on the home page.  It could be those are birch.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
After 40+ years in construction doing everything from newbie grunt work to becoming GM of a company I learned the following. Many times I was asked about wood type and finish. The answer I always gave after i realised it's truth is DO WHAT YOU LIKE. It's your home. Whatever you choose will be in style for a while and then out of style. But if you live there long eneough it will come back in style. In that time I have seen about every species of wood and color of stain or painted come and go more than once. If you like it do not listen to any other advise.
Birch is fine for cabinets. It's been used for ply cab doors for e'on's back in the day.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'm not a big fan of oak... but I'm doing our next kitchen in QSWO right now (Nebraska house).  Talked LOML down from her preference of cherry because I want to be 'truer' to the classic early Craftsman era.  If I had enough money, I would've done all the doors and trim in that as well.  It kinda hurts me knowing that someday somebody's gonna paint them.  
Laugh
Oh man, I can't get anything right. I made a mistake when I wrote "birch" cabinets. Cecil rightfully pointed out that the cabinets from RD Henry are Beech not Birch. Thank you Cecil for checking that out. The question still remains for me. What do you think of "beech" cabinets?
Kitchen remodel-- Birch cabinets?