I'll start building this edge sander in the coming weeks, but have a question about design before I start:

Should I maintain the designed width of the tool or increase its width?  If so, by how much?  I know custom length belts are available, so that's not a concern of mine.  I'm a hobbyist, but want to ensure I don't have buyer's remorse later because I didn't make it bigger when I had the chance.  It will be powered by a 2hp, 3ph motor, so I'm not concerned about overwhelming it.

Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/MxnvbmQPU8k

(edit 1/5/2020)

As I prep for this build, I've changed my direction; I'll use the Woodsmith plans for the base, but the oscillating sanding upper assembly will be as described in a response below.
Semper fi,
Brad

(05-14-2019, 11:26 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'll start building this edge sander in the coming weeks, but have a question about design before I start:

Should I maintain the designed width of the tool or increase its width?  If so, by how much?  I know custom length belts are available, so that's not a concern of mine.  I'm a hobbyist, but want to ensure I don't have buyer's remorse later because I didn't make it bigger when I had the chance.  It will be powered by a 2hp, 3ph motor, so I'm not concerned about overwhelming it.

Thoughts?

Looks wide enough for my needs but your needs may be different.  I'd think about making the left spindle straight rather than crowned, however, so I could use it for inside curves.  Neither of the spindles on my 6 x 48 vertical sander is crowned.  

John
How do you track the belt on yours?

I have an oscillating spindle sander with great dust collection I use for inside curves.
Semper fi,
Brad

(05-14-2019, 08:39 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: How do you track the belt on yours?

I have an oscillating spindle sander with great dust collection I use for inside curves.

There is a tilt adjust on the driven wheel, but no crown on either.  FWIW, lots of belts are driven by flat pulleys (wheels).  As long as there is a tilt adjust it works.  On the Woodsmith design, you could keep some crown on the drive wheel but having a flat driven wheel would give you the option of using it for sanding inside curves.  Look at some of Grizzly's machines.  

[Image: g1140_det1-108709520842e673516f637bc80cc0bc.jpg]

John
I think his spindles are crowned too much. You might just need to crown the drive spindle a little.

I would also want my miter to lock down so I could use it as a stop.

Looks like a nice sander!
(05-14-2019, 11:26 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'll start building this edge sander in the coming weeks, but have a question about design before I start:

Thoughts?

TIt's hard for me to see, but the throat opening where the belt goes into the dust hood looks open. If it is, it needs a guard so that fingers don't get jammed in there while the belt trims them.
Delta makes one for their light duty edge sander.
https://deltamachinery.com/products/sanders/31-482/

You can see it in the detail photos if you scroll through.
I'm in.........

As to the belt, I'd be inclined to stay with standard sizes.
My Jet is 6x89, and it's done most of what I've wanted to sand. Mainly cabinet door edges.

As far as wheel crown, the left driven wheel/roller is slightly crowned, and it has a tilt adjust to track the belt.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Cool.

I'll stick with the design.

I'll let you know when I start.
Semper fi,
Brad

Alright, so I'm finally making some forward progress. My air scrubber build will be done and on the ceiling soon, so I'm gathering parts now for this build. I have the BB ply, belt drive motor (3ph, 220V), and some of the bearings I'll need. I'm incorporating a change to the plans, though, adding a small motor to give it an oscillating feature. To accomplish this, I purchased the plans listed in the description of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3y8lRwXQsg&t=1414s . I'll modify the Woodsmith plans to make them work together.

He uses a geared motor, turning at ~75 rpm. It's a 1/10 hp (or so motor). I know of www.surpluscenter.com but their selection is constantly changing. Does anybody know where I should look for this type of motor? I don't know them well enough to know what to search for in Google. 110 or 220 doesn't matter to me.
Semper fi,
Brad

Another question.  This one:  What's a line bearing?  Where do I find them?

I don't even know if that's the correct term for the component; the seller of the plans calls them that, but I've noticed lots of incorrect terms in the plans, such as calling a motor an engine.  Anyway, his line bearing consists of two parts and allows two items to slide past each other.

The track is screwed to one face and the moving part is screwed to what looks like a carrier of some sort.  Can you guys help me out?
Semper fi,
Brad

Woodsmith-inspired Stationary Edge Sander build thread