Currently I am using a shop vac on my miter saw and it does a poor job. Filter plugs rapidly resulting in dust all over the area. I tried to tie  the 1.5 HP cyclone to it starting with 4” pipe them reducing the intake to the saw’s 1.5” portal. Worse than the shop vac. I’m considering bringing the 4” down, (2 inputs to the cyclone, in the slab for the table saws and hung from the ceiling for everything else) to the miter saw but not sure how to hood the saw. Anyone else tackled this issue?

Bill

You need a dust separator. Try a Oneida Dust Deputy. It will keep your shop vac filter free from clogging.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
The dust deputy is great and is effective in trapping fine dust .

But if you want a cheaper option, the duststopper from homedepot works well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBuRjO54NM

Some people add a second same size bucket into the original one to prevent the bucket from collapsing.

Also consider using a HEPA filter (compatible hepa filters are now more commonly availsble).

Simon
Build an enclosed hood behind and on both sides, top....of your saw and hook your 4" hose directly to the bottom of the hood.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Have a JDS 2 HP cyclone. 6" ducts 2/3 of the way to the saw then 4" from there. Built a box around the saw, but ran the 4" directly to the saw discharge and fastened to the discharge. Did not reduce the 4' just slid over the saw discharge with plentyy of room around the smaller saw outlet. Most of the dust goes directly into the hose, but with 4" around the much smaller discharge there is eneough suction to suck in the dust that misses the hose direct and ends up in the box. Hope that is clear. Does a great job. Tried different methods first and finally hit on this thru trial and error.
For comparison... I have a Festool Kapex hooked up full time to a Ct36 vac that turns on every time the saw does...  Basically the "best" dust collection setup possible for a miter saw...

There is still dust everywhere after awhile...   Don't chase the rabbit hole too far.

(05-26-2019, 12:51 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: For comparison... I have a Festool Kapex hooked up full time to a Ct36 vac that turns on every time the saw does...  Basically the "best" dust collection setup possible for a miter saw...

There is still dust everywhere after awhile...   Don't chase the rabbit hole too far.

Yes, the Kapex (used with a 36mm hose) has the best dust collection of any common miter saw out there (regardless of what shop vac you use it with). While a dust hood with a proper dust collector/vac may match the Kapex's, it will however take up a far larger footprint.

Simon
If you have the room for it, I've been very pleased with the Rousseau 5000 Dust Hood.  The bottom of the hood has a 4" connection that can be piped directly to a dust collector.  It is rather big, a little on the $$$ side but I would guess that it catches 99.5% of the saw dust my miter saw creates.
Thanks all,
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I do have a space issue.

My saw is planted on 30" X 18" plywood dropped between two 6' wide cabinets w/counters, so the saw is on the same level as the counter tops. That does not leave me a lot of room under or behind the saw.  And it is too tight for a Rousseau 5000 Dust Hood

I’ll try to find a smaller shop vac and HD’s duststopper/bucket. 

If space vetoes that idea then I’ll try dropping the 4" flex to saw and somehow suspending a 4" elbow “around” the 1½" outlet that would follow the saw’s movement. Still open to other ideas and/or experiences.
Bill
GEB , if you really want good collection with a 4" pipe; build a capture box or hood that encases your mitersaw.  Images from google will overwhelm you with inspiration.  The 1 1/2" hose is really just there for decoration in those setups.

While kapex has been the gold standard for vacuum collection ( though not reliability/longevity) - others have bridged the gap.   Milwaukee's 12" dual bevel saw has really good collection.  Problem is , you don't see them in the wild for some reason.  They are huge and weigh as much as a tank, so aren't really "portable".  For a shop setting; worth a look.  Makita's 1219 is also very good and comes in battery powered flavor.  It has dual collection ports, costs less than half festool's saw, and isn't likely to smoke motors.

Even with more choices , the best method in a shop is a hood.   You just can't beat a large capture area with high flow.
Dust Collection on a miter saw