I have a set of Gimlets, but they stay in a small wooden box inside the toolchest. Has to pull them out today to drill some holes for a chest lock. 

[attachment=18630]

Excuse the dusty fingerprints. I was sanding it today. 

Whats a tool in your chest that rarely sees the light of day until that moment when it saves the day?

(05-29-2019, 07:00 PM)Scoony Wrote: I have a set of Gimlets, but they stay in a small wooden box inside the toolchest. Has to pull them out today to drill some holes for a chest lock. 

Excuse the dusty fingerprints. I was sanding it today. 

Whats a tool in your chest that rarely sees the light of day until that moment when it saves the day?
I sometimes go a month without ever using a Dremel, then sometimes it's the only tool that will do the job and I will use it almost every day for a week. One of the most useful tools you can have WHEN you need one..Plenty of "imitator" Dremels out there for a little more than a loaded Big Mac with a shake and fries.....
Big Grin
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

My projects vary so much that almost everything seems to be an oddball tool at some time or other.
Wink

A couple of weeks ago I was making some canning jar boxes for my daughter...made one just a little too short, so I got out my drawknife and shaved the ends down on the inside.
The drawknife was my Grandpa’s...it was an oddball tool for him, too. I remember him pulling it out for something, and thinking to myself, “I wonder how he even remembered he had that!”

I’ve got a bunch of wedges that I made for clamping something a while back...just pulled one out the other day to support a door I was hanging. Worked pretty well.

I’ve also got a bunch of old bicycle spokes that periodically get cut and/or bent up for various purposes. I’m currently making some corner blocks for baseboards, and made a prong tool to hold them for dunking in stain and varnish. Sometimes the best tool for the job isn’t even a tool.
Wink
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Always a treat to see your work Scoony.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
used  quite a few oddball tools today..
Rolleyes
[attachment=18633]
Dremel and a wheel, to cut a line..
[attachment=18634]
Dig around to find the only gouge I own...
Winkgrin
[attachment=18635]
Chisel to make a recess for a hinge...
[attachment=18636]
Make sure it is flush...chisel to adjust...
[attachment=18637]
Locate and start two holes for screws..
[attachment=18638]
Drill 2 pilot holes , wax the 2 screws...
[attachment=18639]
Grab a screwdriver, and install...
[attachment=18640]
When the Navy Colt shows up, I can adjust the fit of the new reloading jig...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Five or six years ago my sister and BIL gave me a Veritas side rabbit plane for Christmas. One of those tools I wouldn't have spent that kinda money on for myself.  Haven't used it that often but it was a life saver when needed.

Really nice designed.
I don't know how many times over the years I have almost picked up or ordered gimlets. I even tried to make a gimlet from coat hanger wire. They aren't something I anticipate comfort in using, so are definitely "odd-ball". Drill bits seem to be more useful. 

Alternatives and workarounds to missing tools, or other, are the norm.
My "odd ball" tool is the miniature shoulder plane I bought from Lee Valley on a whim.  I was getting a medium shoulder plane, and the miniature version caught my eye.  It looked like a little toy!

I added it to the order.  Paid $28, IIRC.

There have been a number of times where I needed to clean up a tight dado or a shoulder and that little plane has been a real help.
Mmmnnnn. Way too many oddball tools to list, mostly homemade stop blocks, spacers, holding brackets......
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Credit for this one goes to Scott Grandstaff...

The thin, flexy scraper, great for odd jobs:

[attachment=18650]

Easy to sharpen "good enough" in a saw-vise by draw-filing a 45-degree bevel:

[attachment=18651]

Chris
Chris
Odd-ball tools that save the day