Looking to get a block plane. Suggestions would be appreciated. If I have only 1, should it be a low angle?

Thanks .

Do yourself a favor and Look around and find an old Stanley 118 and you will never go wrong.
Whatever is comfortable in your hand. And, works. 

That means you can buy and return multiple items and times. I compared new (branded) to a hybrid on a Millers Falls base, so there was no bling or style search to muddle up the decision. I still use the hybrid as much and more than any other size.
Lie Nielsen low angle No. 60-1/2 Adjustable Mouth Block Plane is my favorite tool in the shop and among the most frequently used. 
I have the Stanley No. 60-1/2.....more of a go to plane....but, then again...I have about 15 block planes....and still have 2 to rehab....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
My preference is a low angle with an adjustable mouth.  The one I use most is a relatively new Stanley.  My favorite is a Miller's Falls #7 - it was my dad's.  I also like knuckle cap planes like a Stanley 65 or 18, but they are more expensive.

Phil
Love my Stanley 60 1/2.  Feels good in the hand.  Got it for $17 at a flea market, and it only needed a little cleaning to put back into service.
(08-22-2019, 07:52 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Looking to get a block plane. Suggestions would be appreciated. If I have only 1, should it be a low angle?

Thanks .

Actually, the current Stanley low angle model (not the sweetheart version, and not the standard angle one) has been around for at least the last 25 years or so in its current form, and while I have many block planes including LV and LN low angle, I also pull out the Stanley more often than not. They never did screw this plane up over the years. Not quite a "hidden gem" but more like a hidden semi-precious - ha ha.  Its a good deal at $35 and worth a look, might have to flatten the sole a bit but that's about it.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-6-in.../203727261
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

(08-23-2019, 01:47 PM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, the current Stanley low angle model (not the sweetheart version, and not the standard angle one) has been around for at least the last 25 years or so in its current form, and while I have many block planes including LV and LN low angle, I also pull out the Stanley more often than not. They never did screw this plane up over the years. Not quite a "hidden gem" but more like a hidden semi-precious - ha ha.  Its a good deal at $35 and worth a look, might have to flatten the sole a bit but that's about it.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-6-in.../203727261

I think that's the same plane I have.  Works.
Same here! I don’t even know where or when I got it, but the iron takes a good edge, and the adjustment is workable. If I could afford it, I’d trade up to a good knuckle cap, either Stanley or LN. But that’s pretty low on my priority list of tool acquisitions.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Block Plane?