10% off Laguna right now at Rockler and Woodcraft. Talk me out of buying the 14BX 2.5 hp. It’s $1,349. I’d buy a bigger bandsaw but space is a factor. You have 12 hours.

Will use mostly for curves but might resaw more if I had a better saw. Will be replacing a 1hp 28-280 delta 14” that lived a rough life prior to me.

You'll get no argument from me unless you want to run carbide blades.  In that case you would be better served by something with at least 16" wheels.  

John
I have a 14-12 and I like it a lot.  The BX model wasn't available when I bought mine.  I would like to have a brake and the extra HP would be nice too.  The one thing I didn't like on mine was the sloppy fence.  And by sloppy fence I'm referring to the part that holds the fence and rides on the rail.  Waaay too much slop. I could not make a fine adjustment.  I finally bought a used drift master fence so that I could make reliable, small adjustments.  I have a resaw king blade and it has performed well.  Enjoy your new saw!

Lonnie
(08-31-2019, 08:42 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: 10% off Laguna right now at Rockler and Woodcraft. Talk me out of buying the 14BX 2.5 hp. It’s $1,349. I’d buy a bigger bandsaw but space is a factor. You have 12 hours.

Will use mostly for curves but might resaw more if I had a better saw. Will be replacing a 1hp 28-280 delta 14” that lived a rough life prior to me.

Well the saw is in my state, but UPS is slow getting back to me to set-up a delivery time. Turns out woodcraft was a bit cheaper than rockler based on extra shipping. Haven't bought a new major tool in forever. Looking forward to my new saw and I hope it's a big upgrade from my 14" delta.
I'll be interested in hearing your review after you get it. Especially anything about the ceramic guides....do you favor them over the bearing type?

Lonnie, does your saw have the ceramic guides?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(09-07-2019, 11:18 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'll be interested in hearing your review after you get it. Especially anything about the ceramic guides....do you favor them over the bearing type?

I'd be happy to do that-  if I ever get it. It's been in UPS facility near me since Wednesday. Long story short, UPS communication has not been good. If I don't see some movement on Monday, I'm going to escalate things. To be clear I'm not upset I don't have it yet, I'm upset that UPS can't schedule a delivery date/ time. They won't just drop it in the drive, I have to be there I guess. OK, fine, but at least get someone on the phone that can tell me when they want to schedule the drop off.

Anyway, my basis for comparison will be the old delta bearings, which were pretty shot on my old saw, so I'm really hoping the Laguna guides are an upgrade. I've heard some people don't like them.
(09-07-2019, 11:18 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'll be interested in hearing your review after you get it. Especially anything about the ceramic guides....do you favor them over the bearing type?

Fred,
I really like the ceramic guides.  It was one of the main reasons I bought the saw.  I set my guides as close to the blade as I can get without touching.  I timed how long it took for the wheels to quit turning with the guides pushed away from the blade.  Then I set the guides and timed it again.  I don't want the guides to be in constant contact.  I feel the blade tension and the position of the blade on the wheels should keep the blade straight.  Also, I always start my cut slowly so that the blade enters squarely.  So far it has worked for me.

Lonnie
If anyone is in southern california area Laguna sells refurbs or slightly damaged tools for a discount.  This 14 SUV laguna Bandsaw 3hp looks interesting and if I didn't already have a 16 inch would be something I would consider.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/...97695.html

Quote:This machine retails for $2000 and we are selling it for $1000 off because of cosmetic damage. I only have a few and they will go quickly please email Morgan with any questions. This machine is pick up only.
Laguna 14BX