I've painted a toy chest for a small nephew with acrylics. I was told to use the Liquitex varnish for a sealant, but I'm wondering if that will be strong enough to provide even a little protection against probable dings and such. I've been researching things like GF High Performance (but reviews say that it yellows whites, and there are substantial white painted portions on this chest that I'd like to remain...well, white). Can someone please recommend a sealant that I can use? Or would the Liquitex provide reasonable enough protection? I'm a complete greenhorn with this stuff.
Smile

Welcome to WoodNet.  I don't have an answer for you but I'm sure others will be along and shed some light on it.

Frank
Sorry. I don't have any first hand experience with clear coats over acrylic paint. I am guessing that most any water based clear finish would work fine. Polycrylic comes to mind. My best suggestion would be to use some scrap wood and experiment.

I'm assuming that you are talking about acrylic paints like those use by modelers. Maybe you could find a modelers forum and post your question there.
It's hard to say any finish will prevent "dings and such". The Liquitex product you mention is made just for this, you may be best going with it. But if you choose to use a clear water borne finish, look for one that doesn't have any tint. They will dry water clear, and stay that way. The HP product you mention is., I think, a water clear product.  As for the complaints of it "yellowing", I was searching for those and found these comments by GF (on their site):

"As is true of most "water-white" topcoats, General Finishes water-based topcoats dry clear over non-reactive substrates, such as plastic or metal, except General Finishes Enduro-Var, which ambers. When white paint sealed with a water-white topcoat is applied to something as unpredictable as wood, all bets are off and the reason for yellowing is often unknown. It can be caused by topcoat activating tannins in raw wood or aniline dyes, stains, or contaminants in a pre-existing finish. This is most evident when using BRIGHT WHITE paint and most prevalent in sculpted details of furniture where the topcoat can collect, intensifying color change to an unacceptable level.

There is no reliable way to predict whether yellowing will occur and to what degree. Every existing finish is different and we rarely know the finishing provenance on an existing piece."
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Sealing an acrylic-painted toy chest