Is waxed shellac OK to use for a tabletop or should I use a dewaxed?

Edit:  Should have Googled my own answer:

'If you want just a shellac finish only then it will be fine - but if you want to apply WB or solvent base coatings over it switch to dewaxed sealcoat which can be safely used for that purpose."

Since I am finishing with shellac, sounds like I am good to go.

(11-16-2019, 02:38 PM)Cpl_Eyeball Wrote: Is waxed shellac OK to use for a tabletop or should I use a dewaxed?

Edit:  Should have Googled my own answer:

'If you want just a shellac finish only then it will be fine - but if you want to apply WB or solvent base coatings over it switch to dewaxed sealcoat which can be safely used for that purpose."

Since I am finishing with shellac, sounds like I am good to go.

And the stuff with wax in it is actually more durable than dewaxed.  

John

(11-16-2019, 03:38 PM)jteneyck Wrote: And the stuff with wax in it is actually more durable than dewaxed.  

John

Thanks, John... I did not know this fact.
(11-16-2019, 03:38 PM)jteneyck Wrote: And the stuff with wax in it is actually more durable than dewaxed.  

John

Yepper. A bit of flexibility makes it a grand choice.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin

Only dewaxed if its an undercoat.  Waxed supposedly if its a final finish.

But FWIW, I never used waxed, even for a final finish.
Because I use shellac all sorts of ways, I always have gone with dewaxed.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Dewaxed shellac is (from my readings) used where the shellac is functioning as a "primer" for another finish.  The wax creates adhesion issues for  some other finishes. 

So if you are putting down shellac prior to coating with say, water based poly, then use dewaxed shellac.  I do this so that the water based poly will not raise the grain.  Sealcoat, a dewaxed shellac is my undercoat of choice in that case.  It adds to the finish build and prevents grain raising.  It is supposed to improve adhesion too.  Plus it dries in 20 minutes so the first coat of poly can go on very quickly.

If you are putting down multiple coats of shellac as a final finish, then waxed shellac is not an adhesion issue.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Waxed or Dewaxed Shellac