Does it matter on which side of the blade the offcut lies? I've got a bunch of lumber that has been straight-lined on one side and I need to make some long rip cuts. Starting to build a benchtop. I want to run the straight-lined side down the fence (blade left) and leave the offcut on the blade right. Is good, yes?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard

I do it that way all the time.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I usually make long cuts with the off cut to the right of the blade---does not hit the saw when falling away.

For some reason(never thought about it) when using a fence, the off cuts are to the left--fence on the right side.
(11-18-2019, 02:33 PM)cputnam Wrote: Does it matter on which side of the blade the offcut lies?  I've got a bunch of lumber that has been straight-lined on one side and I need to make some long rip cuts.  Starting to build a benchtop. I want to run the straight-lined side down the fence (blade left) and leave the offcut on the blade right.  Is good, yes?

I believe that most bandsaw manuals show the fence installed to the left of the blade. I installed my fence to the right, opposite of the manual.
Reason is, I often remove the fence and it cannot be done without removing the blade if the fence is installed to left of the blade. I have on occasion installed the fence to the left of the blade. I used to rip 1/4" x 15/16" strips for strip canoes. This lets the thin strips fall away from the blade. Also I use a power feeder when making these rips. The feeder would not work on the left because of height restrictions.
mike
I am right handed. It seems more natural to put the fence to the left. This way my left arm and hand does the simple pushing. My right applies pressure to keep the wood flat against the fence where more dexterity is needed. Plus my attached lamp lights the right side better where it is not under the wheels.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!

(11-19-2019, 06:30 AM)KyleD Wrote: I am right handed. It seems more natural to put the fence to the left. This way my left arm and hand does the simple pushing. My right applies pressure to keep the wood flat against the fence where more dexterity is needed. Plus my attached lamp lights the right side better where it is not under the wheels.

I've the pivot fence on the right as well, but the reasoning that led me to that conclusion was that the clumsy left hand could do fine pressing the wood against it, while the more dexterous compensated for blade drift and leading from wood grain. Sort of like the way you feed the tablesaw,  no?
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

(11-19-2019, 07:54 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: I've the pivot fence on the right as well, but the reasoning that led me to that conclusion was that the clumsy left hand could do fine pressing the wood against it, while the more dexterous compensated for blade drift and leading from wood grain. Sort of like the way you feed the tablesaw,  no?

Do what works. I mainly use a straight rather than pivot fence so steering is not an issue. My right hand holds a jointer type pusher most of the time when ripping taller pieces. I try to keep it just behind the kerf then push the last bit through with a scrap or set it down and reach ahead to pull the stock through depending on the length.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Gentlemen - I thank you all
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Newbie Bandsawyer Question