Does anyone have information on the A. Howland tongue & groove planes?
I have a set stamped as follows:

INCH

No 70

Does that make any sense to anybody?
I appears that somebody along the way was fiddling with one or both and I think I know the size they were intended to be.

Thanks
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -Red Green

(01-28-2020, 01:27 PM)ChuckH Wrote: Does anyone have information on the A. Howland tongue & groove planes?
I have a set stamped as follows:

INCH

No 70

Does that make any sense to anybody?
I appears that somebody along the way was fiddling with one or both and I think I know the size they were intended to be.

Thanks

Is it marked "A.Howland" or "A. Howland & Co."?
A picture of the plane, and its markings , would help.

(01-28-2020, 08:39 PM)RickW Wrote: Is it marked "A.Howland" or "A. Howland & Co."?
A picture of the plane, and its markings , would help.

Yes, it is marked A. Howland & Co. (sorry about that) and the only markings are as I showed. I didn't show pictures because I didn't want to prejudice anyone's conclusion. I purchased these as 3/4" planes but dimensionally they appear to be a 1" set. I was hoping that someone had the info to say that a Howland #70 is ....
But you know what, Rick, in the end it doesn't matter because the blades cut a 1/4" T&G which works well for a 3/4" set.  And all I have to do is shim out the fences and I'll turn them into a 3/4" set regardless of what 12/INCH/No 70 actually means.  But I am curious.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -Red Green
Info on A. Howland Grooving planes