I'm debating on making a planer upgrade.  I currently have the Dewalt DW733 planer, which I've ownerd for ~20+ years.  Never had an issue with it, but it's coming time to replace the knives (i.e. have the 2 sets resharpened) and there is some minor slippage of the feed rollers.  The slippage seems to be eliminated when I clean the rollers with denatured alcohol, but I have seen that there are four bushings (vice bearings) that tend to wear out over time turning more oblong that can cause slippage.

My thought is I can change out these four bushings, order a couple new motor brushes, and upgrade to a shelix head for this model for ~$440.  The downside is, after making this investment, what if something catestrophic goes wrong with the maching and it becomes a money pit.

The other option is going with either the Jet or Grizzly (15" model) with the helical head.  a larger investment right now, but there is the warranty coverage on a new unit.

Thoughts?

Well, for me it would be the stationary planer, if you have the room and electric. But not for the warranty (I don't worry too much about that stuff) but rather for the increased capacity. Not so much the width, but the increased HP and quieter running (especially with a shelix). But that's just me.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(01-29-2020, 01:11 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Well, for me it would be the stationary planer, if you have the room and electric. But not for the warranty (I don't worry too much about that stuff) but rather for the increased capacity. Not so much the width, but the increased HP and quieter running (especially with a shelix). But that's just me.

Thanks Fred ... I did run an additional 220V/30A receptacle so no issues there.

The increased capacity would be nice.

Option C.  Get a used stationary planer.  You can find used 15" planers for well less than half the price of a new one, often around $500 -600.  That's not a lot more than rehabbing your current one.  

John
I like the option of a good condition used 15" stationary planer. If you are patient, $500 will get you in the big boys game.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP

Like John said, a used 15" makes perfect sense. Don't pass on a motor on top model as older technology, the table remains at the same height so you can build a fixed outfeed that supports the board all the way thru.

This is my setup:

[attachment=23629]

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone

(01-29-2020, 06:33 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Like John said, a used 15" makes perfect sense. Don't pass on a motor on top model as older technology, the table remains at the same height so you can build a fixed outfeed that supports the board all the way thru.

This is my setup:

g

I had a small bench planer for years, then I found a Delta RC33 planer.  I had room so I kept the bench top and though it's usually quite a while between uses there are times it works for the stationary won't.  In my case the benchtop unit will planner to a thinner thickness than the stationary will.  If you have the room and don't need to sell your bench unit, keep it as it will come in handy at times.
I would upgrade.
Fix the roller slippage issue and offer it up for sale.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I struggled with upgrading current old DW735 with helical head, but did not have the room for a stationary planer.  If you have the room and cash, I say go for the 15" with the helical head.  You will have no regrets.  The helical cutter is amazing!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I side with a used stationary unit. Price and availability will vary depending on where you live. www.owwm.org is a good source for learning about them and we have an active sales section where these come up often.

Don't let "stationary" scare you. Casters on my 400# PM100 make it convenient to move around in my small shop.
Semper fi,
Brad

Whch Upgrade Makes Sense?