I am thinking about taking a woodworking class that requires a 1/8" chisel as part of the tools I am supposed to bring. I currently have vintage Stanley 750 & #60 chisels. What do you suggest for a chisel for this dovetailing class? I don't want to spend more on this one plane than I have for the dozen or so vintage chisels. Thanks.

Check Amazon...they had a pretty good deal on them a couple years ago...I think it was Narex...
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=1%2F8%22+ch..._sb_noss_2
(02-03-2020, 02:39 PM)pgriff Wrote: I am thinking about taking a woodworking class that requires a 1/8" chisel as part of the tools I am supposed to bring. I currently have vintage Stanley 750 & #60 chisels. What do you suggest for a chisel for this dovetailing class? I don't want to spend more on this one plane than I have for the dozen or so vintage chisels. Thanks.

if you have any multiples grind one down to an 1/8.  jerry

(02-03-2020, 03:34 PM)jerry s Wrote: if you have any multiples grind one down to an 1/8.  jerry

As Jerry suggested if you have spare chisels, or go for cheapos like IRWIN Marples Chisel for Woodworking, 1/8-inch (3mm) from Brian's Amazon link. No need to spend money on this size as you won't notice any different between a $10 one and a $40 piece... except may be the brand.

Simon
A 1/8" chisel is pretty small - even for dovetailing. They must be wanting to teach you how to do really tight dovetails. What you want for dovetailing and cleaning out waste is something where the lands are very small so it can get into the corners without damaging the dovetail walls. A 1/8" chisel probably doesn't have super large lands, so that might not be an issue. I would recommend getting a Narex chisel, but they don't make one that small in Imperial sizes. Highland hardware has a 3mm version, which is slightly smaller than 1/8".
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have two 1/8" chisels. Neither see much use, but when I am cleaning tight DTs or clearing out for an inlay, I'm grateful for both.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
The 1/8” is my most used chisel for tails. I have a few I have made, and a few that were purchased.

A bevel edged vintage Stanley 750 is very rare (and expensive). I ground this one (closest to the camera) from a 1/4” ...

[Image: Blades-hollowground1.jpg]

Mr Koyama (Koyamaichi) ground this one for me, but then produced them for sale ...

[Image: Stu-chisels3.jpg]

Veritas make an excellent 1/8” in PM-V11, and I purchased this as well as a 3/16”. My three small user sizes for tails are 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4”. (Before Veritas made the 1/8” size, I ground one from a preproduction O1 1/4”, which show how important they are in my world).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Harmmmp.....
Rolleyes
[attachment=23793]
Three chisels I used last week....3/16" Butcher, 1/8" Buck Brothers, and a 1/4" harbor Freight chisel I ground a few decades ago...
Cool
[attachment=23794]

Tip was ground to a triangle shape..
Cool
[attachment=23795]
And can get into the tight corners with ease.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have a few 1/4" #60 chisels that can be used to make a 1/8" chisel. What is the best way to do that? Grinding wheel or belt sander? Freehand or do I need to make a fixture / jig?
Thanks for all your advise so far.

(02-04-2020, 11:12 AM)pgriff Wrote: I have a few 1/4" #60 chisels that can be used to make a 1/8" chisel. What is the best way to do that? Grinding wheel or belt sander? Freehand or do I need to make a fixture / jig?
Thanks for all your advise so far.

It will get really hot so I would choose to freehand it on a belt grinder and quench it often...Belt grinders generate less heat than a vitrified grinding wheel.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

1/8" Chisel