Over at the FOG, Matt Byington posted a Wixey on his bandsaw. His was an impractical setup, but I really liked this idea of using a DRO for the bandsaw.

I do not know why I did not think of it myself before, as I have a spare Wixey for the table saw ... well, part of one: there was a small section of rail over from a previous installation, and then I replaced the digital box as the original had been damaged (lost the window, which I repaired with film), stopped working (although I later learned how to work around this, and now it seemed fine). In the meantime, the one on the table saw (Hammer K3 slider) looks nice and new
Smile

[Image: 1.jpg]

My thought was to build it in using the same method I used for the K3. This is what I came up with ..

[Image: 2.jpg]

The control box is attached with a rare earth magnet, so it can be removed.

[Image: 3.jpg]

The only issue with the gauge is that it attaches here from the left side of the fence, where it is designed to attach from the right (perhaps someone knows how to set this up for the other way around). The result is that the readout reads as a minus. 

It sets up easily for zero, and this is important when changing blades.

Below is how it attaches to the Hammer N4400. I made use of the bolts attaching the fence rail. I am sure that other bandsaws will have something similar to use. The L-brackets were cut to length and drilled to suit this set up.

[Image: 4.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com

I have had one on my Griz 17" bandsaw for years... after the novelty wore off I never use it. LOL The bandsaws in my shop aren't typically used for precision cuts so, a precision digital read-out just isn't necessary for the way that I use my bandsaws. HTH
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP

(04-10-2020, 09:26 AM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I have had one on my Griz 17" bandsaw for years... after the novelty wore off I never use it. LOL The bandsaws in my shop aren't typically used for precision cuts so, a precision digital read-out just isn't necessary for the way that I use my bandsaws. HTH

I also used band saws for years, about 60 years or so. I don't know exactly what a Wixey is but I think it is a type of close tolerance measuring system. I use a 6" engineer scale or a 12" rule to set the fence. For myself I do not need a DRO on a band saw as a scale or rule is as accurate as you will get on this type of machine.
I do use digital scales on a drill press Z axis, 3 scales on a milling machine and 2 on a metal lathe. 
I think if a person needed that much accuracy on his bandsaw then a digital scale would cost less than a DRO  and accomplish the same thing.
Last one I bought was about $30.00 for a 6" scale. Igauging 6" scale has a separate display that reads to 4 decimals. Checked their website, 
$39.00 now for the 6" scale. 
mike
I see the use when sawing tenons, re-sawing boards, even veneer. So far I find it pretty accurate. Importantly, it makes repeatability much quicker to set up.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Possibly... I know that I do all those tasks you mentioned on the bandsaw and just don't feel the need for it to have a digital read-out. Repeatability is probably the most tangible function you mentioned but again I think it is a probably a solution that is really searching for a problem. I have it on one of my bandsaws and it just doesn't get used. On the other hand, I think it is a great solution for the TS when one is using a t-square fence. Personally, I have the Incra fence system on my Unisaw... the precision and repeatability of a digital read-out or precision fence like the Incra, is a total necessity in my shop.

Just my $0.02 and I hope that you find it more useful than I have. :-)
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group Password IBTP
I use my bandsaw more than my table saw (and I have a great table saw - Hammer slider). So why should the bandsaw be any less precise in set up and use?

For example, when resawing boards, I want to leave just enough extra thickness for the thicknesser/planer ... more than this and it is a waste if wood, which means I may not get an extra board to use from the original.

Another is being able to dial in a setting quickly, and return to it later. Or to be able to adjust it a smidgeon, which is measurable on the DRO. This is no different to a table saw.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I'm not arguing that you might find it useful, heck I kind of hope you do so, that you can share something new to get me to use mine again. LOL
I'm simply stating that in MY shop a DRO on the bandsaw sounded great but in reality it wasn't too useful. All the arguments of how useful it could be are the EXACT same reasons I put it on my bandsaw. :-) Like you, I use my bandsaws a ton in my shop, I actually have 2 large bandsaws set-up, one for resawing and the other for general purpose.
It's like a lot of things in WW, there are a bunch of ways to "skin a cat" and what I use may end up being different from what another WW uses but the end result can end up the same.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group Password IBTP

(04-10-2020, 10:28 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I'm not arguing that you might find it useful, heck I kind of hope you do so, that you can share something new to get me to use mine again. LOL
I'm simply stating that in MY shop a DRO on the bandsaw sounded great but in reality it wasn't too useful. All the arguments of how useful it could be are the EXACT same reasons I put it on my bandsaw. :-) Like you, I use my bandsaws a ton in my shop, I actually have 2 large bandsaws set-up, one for resawing and the other for general purpose.
It's like a lot of things in WW, there are a bunch of ways to "skin a cat" and what I use may end up being different from what another WW uses but the end result can end up the same.

Sorry if I sounded argumentative, or trying to win a point. That was not my intent. Time will tell if the Wixey is useful. I find it so on my table saw - ageing eyes finding it harder to read small numbers. On the bandsaw the small items were either on the ruler, measuring the distance between teeth and fence, or lining up the mark on the wood with the edge of a tooth. 

I did use the bandsaw today - just a little - and the results were very encouraging: within 0.1mm of that intended.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I use my bandsaw much like Derek, in fact I sold my Unisaw a couple of years ago--don't do much sheet goods anymore.  I have a cut-down jetlock™ fence on the bandsaw, and use (two) micro-adjusters and a magnetic (Mighty Mag™) indicator holder to accomplish much of the functionality that
Derek enjoys.  I'd certainly consider retrofitting a dro, but what I have works so well, I'm reluctant to change.

Bob
Mike, it cost me zip. These are from my parts bin - a left over piece of track, a resurrected Wixey gauge which was replaced, and a couple of re-sized brackets.

I have used the set up a few times now. I love the ease in finding - and repeating - a measurement.

Just for reference, I have been building furniture for over 30 years. Mainly with hand tools (although I own and use some quality machine in basic prep work). I don't usually go seeking micro adjustments (I might use a router table about twice a year). But finding numbers with my ageing eyes, and repeating the measurement at will ... well that is priceless
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Wixey DRO for Hammer N4400 bandsaw